What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. untilted

untilted Senior member

how much does an oz of truffle cost usually?

made a steak tonight. medium rare. first time doing this. i like it rare usually. it was damn juicy. it was a 12 oz steak, still hungry though.

last night did liguini in lamb meat sauce. lamb is the shit.

will attempt to make risotto this weekend/next week.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

will attempt to make risotto this weekend/next week.
    Stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir.
    Don't add cream.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

how much does an oz of truffle cost usually?

Different every season, but expect to pay 10x more for winter truffles. No offence to my good e-friend Globe, but summer truffles are a waste of time.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Different every season, but expect to pay 10x more for winter truffles. No offence to my good e-friend Globe, but summer truffles are a waste of time.

Not a waste of time, IMO. Just a waste of money if they're charging you what they probably can charge you. Although, IIRC, when I was in the Ferry Building, the price on summer truffles wasn't very bad at all.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

yeah, actually I would agree. cost me 20 bucks. I have had black truffles that were pretty good, I didn't get anywhere near as much flavor out of this as I had hoped to. but I have never actually cooked with a truffle before.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Not dinner. I did scrambled eggs a bit differently than I normally do them today, based on the gordon ramsay vid that was posted yesterday. 3 eggs and a generous slab of unsalted butter into a sauce pot. Start stirring over medium-high heat. I didn't have vine tomatoes, but I diced a tomato and got rid of the inner juicy stuff and dropped it in a frying pan as my eggs were getting close to finished. Doing them in the pan first gets rid of the worst of the water so that when you add the tomatoes to the eggs, they don't become watery. Salt&pepper at the end. Didn't have creme fraiche. Added in tomatoes. Put it on a big slice of sourdough bread, and took the bacon out of the oven. Yum. I'm really looking forward to cooking school in January.

7. Alter

Alter Senior member

Not dinner. I did scrambled eggs a bit differently than I normally do them today, based on the gordon ramsay vid that was posted yesterday. 3 eggs and a generous slab of unsalted butter into a sauce pot. Start stirring over medium-high heat. I didn't have vine tomatoes, but I diced a tomato and got rid of the inner juicy stuff and dropped it in a frying pan as my eggs were getting close to finished. Doing them in the pan first gets rid of the worst of the water so that when you add the tomatoes to the eggs, they don't become watery. Salt&pepper at the end. Didn't have creme fraiche. Added in tomatoes. Put it on a big slice of sourdough bread, and took the bacon out of the oven. Yum. I'm really looking forward to cooking school in January.

You're going to cooking school? Very cool! Are you staying in Mtl?

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Here's a pic of that oxtail and fried cabbage from last weekend.

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Today I made pasta with pork cheeks and tomato sauce. The pork cheeks get brined in a cryovac bag and then sous-vide for 36 hour. [​IMG] So good.

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

You're going to cooking school? Very cool! Are you staying in Mtl?

What I've enrolled in is more like what Manton is doing and it's Toronto. It's comprised of 2 core Culinary Arts classes that are about 90hrs, a knife skills class, and six electives (from 24-40hrs each) that each focus on a specific regional cuisine. I'll get a certificate at the end but I'm just doing it for fun. It's not a professional program but it's taught at the same school and the core courses focus on skills, so it should be good. The electives will hopefully expand my knowledge of food in general. Regardless, I'm looking really forward to it. I'm also starting arabic courses in the winter, which should be interesting, because i'm pretty firmly committed to making the jump to the ME in 2-3 years (because i'm staying in IT).

11. rirawin

rirawin Senior member

12. Alter

Alter Senior member

What I've enrolled in is more like what Manton is doing and it's Toronto. It's comprised of 2 core Culinary Arts classes that are about 90hrs, a knife skills class, and six electives (from 24-40hrs each) that each focus on a specific regional cuisine. I'll get a certificate at the end but I'm just doing it for fun. It's not a professional program but it's taught at the same school and the core courses focus on skills, so it should be good. The electives will hopefully expand my knowledge of food in general. Regardless, I'm looking really forward to it. I'm also starting arabic courses in the winter, which should be interesting, because i'm pretty firmly committed to making the jump to the ME in 2-3 years (because i'm staying in IT).

Sounds like fun, GQ.

13. Alter

Alter Senior member

Dinner at a Yakiniku place near Kobe. Wagyu FTW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

What are the accompaniments in the first and final pic?

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Dinner at a Yakiniku place near Kobe. Wagyu FTW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to figure out how to get to Japan for business.