STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had dinner at the Vintage Cave Club the other night. Was able to obtain the private dining alcove where the Obamas have spent more than one NYE. I sat in Barry's spot.

IMG_3740.JPG

The art and antiquities collection are incredible. From Japanese national treasures to an ancient amphora still filled with wine to this huge Picasso installation:

IMG_3737.JPG

Also ate at some very local, hole in the wall places. The Rice Spot, Ahi and Veggies, AGU Ramen to name a few. Here's sliced and fried pig ears and fried chicken skin. Both items on the pau hana menu.

IMG_E3767.JPG

IMG_E3673.JPG

Spent the day in the North Shore and environs. Everywhere you stop there's at least one shrimp truck. The original and mothership is Giovanni's. Here's their thing, garlic shrimp.

IMG_E3633.JPG

Last pic was one of my favorite bites of the meal from Sushi Sho. Copper River salmon and it was so damn good. With these little omakase bites the chef will often have little dabs of 1-3 condiments in different areas so you get different flavours popping as you chew. Okay, two more, the monk fish liver also. It is referred to as "the foie gras of the sea" for very good reason. Incredible and I could eat it daily.

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_E3674.JPG

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

But it's a cruel, damn shame how they force-feed those monkfish.

3. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

4. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Mmm 2 sticks of butter...I like

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

I was unimpressed by the garlic shrimp when I was there in February, but a trip to Matsumoto's for shave ice was worth the drive up there. Also really interesting to contrast the north shore with Waikiki

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Most of the island vs. Waikiki you mean.

Nothing like walking back to the hotel after slurping down some awesome local ramen to see the Hard Rock Cafe overflowing with tourists. Why TF even bother going to Hawaii?

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Leek and potato soup with kibble wheat sourdough.