1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors, Mangue Lucy and Sons of Henrey We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Mangue Lucy, an international design collaboration based in Milan that focuses on creating fine ready-to-wear, sourcing top-quality materials and working with exceptional production facilities in Italy to offer honest, modern, and quality casual-wear, and Sons of Henrey a contemporary footwear brand, committed to producing a shoe of timeless elegance, at exceptional value.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had dinner at the Vintage Cave Club the other night. Was able to obtain the private dining alcove where the Obamas have spent more than one NYE. I sat in Barry's spot.

IMG_3740.JPG

The art and antiquities collection are incredible. From Japanese national treasures to an ancient amphora still filled with wine to this huge Picasso installation:

IMG_3737.JPG

Also ate at some very local, hole in the wall places. The Rice Spot, Ahi and Veggies, AGU Ramen to name a few. Here's sliced and fried pig ears and fried chicken skin. Both items on the pau hana menu.

IMG_E3767.JPG

IMG_E3673.JPG

Spent the day in the North Shore and environs. Everywhere you stop there's at least one shrimp truck. The original and mothership is Giovanni's. Here's their thing, garlic shrimp.

IMG_E3633.JPG

Last pic was one of my favorite bites of the meal from Sushi Sho. Copper River salmon and it was so damn good. With these little omakase bites the chef will often have little dabs of 1-3 condiments in different areas so you get different flavours popping as you chew. Okay, two more, the monk fish liver also. It is referred to as "the foie gras of the sea" for very good reason. Incredible and I could eat it daily.

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_E3674.JPG

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

But it's a cruel, damn shame how they force-feed those monkfish.

3. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

4. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Mmm 2 sticks of butter...I like

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

I was unimpressed by the garlic shrimp when I was there in February, but a trip to Matsumoto's for shave ice was worth the drive up there. Also really interesting to contrast the north shore with Waikiki

6. Piobaire

Most of the island vs. Waikiki you mean.

Nothing like walking back to the hotel after slurping down some awesome local ramen to see the Hard Rock Cafe overflowing with tourists. Why TF even bother going to Hawaii?

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Leek and potato soup with kibble wheat sourdough.

8. Piobaire

A couple knobs of butter, with matching amount of olive oil, in a saute pan and infuse with garlic and thyme. Bag it and sous vide at 120 for 30 minutes. Roasted root veggies to accompany and paired with a Kosta Browne. Pretty damn tasty and was just a recipe I made up.

8B7FFB31-FE50-4DC7-A0AE-5BA0BC9B7A59.jpeg

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Mixed mushrooms and truffle risotto. Dried swiss brown and porchini mushroom stock, with fresh rosemary,parsley and thyme, garlic and dried chilli. Mixed green salad on the side and a bottle of Cokdstream Hills Yarra Valley The Hills Pinot Noir 2016 to wash it down.

Then State of Origin, go the Blues.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018

10. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

Home made pizza with Gorgonzola + bottle of decent Australian Shiraz

11. Geoffrey Firmin

South Australian?

12. wojt

13. Geoffrey Firmin

14. wojt

Yeah I like this style and full-bodied reds in general, especially with food but not only. Last year I bought few bottles of Jacob's Creek Barossa Shiraz which was also very enjoyable.

15. Piobaire

Had some excellent kalbi while in Hawaii and decided to try my hand at it. Recipe I used was given to me by a Hawaii local friend of Mrs. Piob's from her high school days. The base of the marinade? Yoshida sauce. Add in some sesame oil, the fresh ingredients of scallions, garlic, and ginger, and I added a little heat with gochujang sauce (really common condiment in local Hawaii places I noticed.) Those are Angus flanken cut short ribs and I'll quick grill them tonight.

Need to try my hand at kimchi too. I'll admit I never paid it much attention until this trip. It also is everywhere in Hawaii.

84AA3C56-B68C-43D0-9841-D8D95B30B62E.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018