What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

After checking out my local immigration rally this afternoon, had a pile of oysters with a couple pints of Guiness. Lovely day.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

After checking out my local immigration rally this afternoon, had a pile of oysters with a couple pints of Guiness. Lovely day.

The Cubans automatically get citizenship in the US, so no immigration rallies in my area (esp. in Boca, where the avg. household income is a lot higher than normal).

Jon.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Halved avocadoes with shallots and Dijon mustard dressing
    Spanish dish of garlic shrimp sauteed with madeira wine and lime juice, etc.
    Over plain arborio rice.

I wouldn't have thought so, but the madeira wine/lime juice combination made for a deliciously subtle sauce.

4. Alter

Alter Senior member

Halved avocadoes with shallots and Dijon mustard dressing
    Spanish dish of garlic shrimp sauteed with madeira wine and lime juice, etc.
    Over plain arborio rice.

I wouldn't have thought so, but the madeira wine/lime juice combination made for a deliciously subtle sauce.

Oooh, that sounds good [​IMG] ! Recipe for the Madeira + lime thing?

5. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Oooh, that sounds good [​IMG] ! Recipe for the Madeira + lime thing?

I sort of adapted, so it's not exactly the original Spanish recipe, but close enough:

about a pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
    Olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
    2 good size shallots, chopped (or 1 small white or red onion)
    6 cloves of garlic, minced
    3-5 tablespoons of madeira wine
    juice of one plump lime
    1/2 cup-1 cup of chicken broth
    1/2 tbsp of paprika
    1/2 teaspoon (or more to taste) of cayenne pepper

Saute the chopped shallots in olive oil till they become soft but not brown, then add the garlic and the shrimp. Cook till shrimp turns pink.
    Retrieve the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
    Add all the other ingredients and let the sauce reduce for 2 minutes, then add the cooked shrimp, toss for a few seconds, and serve. You may sprinkle with chopped parsley, upon serving (I didn't have any).

It's supposed to be a tapas, but works well over rice. I hope you like it.

6. Alter

Alter Senior member

I sort of adapted, so it's not exactly the original Spanish recipe, but close enough:

about a pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
    Olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
    2 good size shallots, chopped (or 1 small white or red onion)
    6 cloves of garlic, minced
    3-5 tablespoons of madeira wine
    juice of one plump lime
    1/2 cup-1 cup of chicken broth
    1/2 tbsp of paprika
    1/2 teaspoon (or more to taste) of cayenne pepper

Saute the chopped shallots in olive oil till they become soft but not brown, then add the garlic and the shrimp. Cook till shrimp turns pink.
    Retrieve the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
    Add all the other ingredients and let the sauce reduce for 2 minutes, then add the cooked shrimp, toss for a few seconds, and serve. You may sprinkle with chopped parsley, upon serving (I didn't have any).

It's supposed to be a tapas, but works well over rice. I hope you like it.

Fabienne,

Many thanks! I will let you know how it turns out.

Eric

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

Eating two of my specialty sandwiches that I make...they taste really good, and are quick to make!

Toast two slices of good bread.
    Spread with Chipotle mayo (regular mayo works too).
    Add a liberal amount of good quality smoked ham.
    Add some hot giardiniara (optional, but I like my food really spicy).
    Add some sliced pepperjack cheese (aged sharp cheddar works great too).

Cover sandwich with the other slice of bread and microwave for 30 seconds until the cheese melts (but not so long as to make the toast soggy).

Enjoy!

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Nicer weather, so grilling was in order:

Beef tenderloins steaks, some peppered, some plain, one cut up and marinated in a concoction consisting of cognac, garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes, on skewers.

Portobello mushroom caps (a word of advice: do not marinate with too high an acidic component. That will teach me for trusting a recipe from Williams Sonoma)

Pan-fried polenta wedges.

Tomato, avocado and red leaf lettuce salad with homemade mustard sauce.

9. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

made a big 'ol pot of jambalaya (english dtyle)

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

made a big 'ol pot of jambalaya (english dtyle)

What's English style jambalaya?

11. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

What's English style jambalaya?

we can't get creole sausage, so i use chorizo instead...hmmm...thinking about it, i suppose it was jambalaya spanish style...god english food is crap...

anyway i digress, i basically followed this recipe: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html - used a couple of organic chicken legs, no seafood, individual spices, a couple of birds eye chilli's and added a massive handful of chopped flat leaf parsley just at the end of cooking to give it a fresh flavour. yum. (oh, i poured some of the fat away after browning the chorizo and chicken, there was about 200ml of pure heart attack [​IMG] )

12. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

Nicer weather, so grilling was in order:

Beef tenderloins steaks, some peppered, some plain, one cut up and marinated in a concoction consisting of cognac, garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes, on skewers.

Portobello mushroom caps (a word of advice: do not marinate with too high an acidic component. That will teach me for trusting a recipe from Williams Sonoma)

Pan-fried polenta wedges.

Tomato, avocado and red leaf lettuce salad with homemade mustard sauce.

this sounds all good - how do you make the pan fried polenta wedges? i've got polenta flour, and a block of pre made polenta (same sort of feel as halloumi) - but i've never used either. my girlfriend doesn't eat wheat, so i'm always looking out for new and interesting wheat free carbo-dishes, she uses the flour to make lemon polenta cake.

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

we can't get creole sausage, so i use chorizo instead...hmmm...thinking about it, i suppose it was jambalaya spanish style...god english food is crap...

anyway i digress, i basically followed this recipe: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html - used a couple of organic chicken legs, no seafood, individual spices, a couple of birds eye chilli's and added a massive handful of chopped flat leaf parsley just at the end of cooking to give it a fresh flavour. yum. (oh, i poured some of the fat away after browning the chorizo and chicken, there was about 200ml of pure heart attack [​IMG] )

I presume you're not British?

You can't find anything close to Andouille (the Louisiana kind, not the French kind) in the UK? If you really wanted to invest the time, you could make your own. I have made my own merguez on occasion. Yes, chorizo renders a lot of fat.

14. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

this sounds all good - how do you make the pan fried polenta wedges? i've got polenta flour, and a block of pre made polenta (same sort of feel as halloumi) - but i've never used either. my girlfriend doesn't eat wheat, so i'm always looking out for new and interesting wheat free carbo-dishes, she uses the flour to make lemon polenta cake.

I make a batch of polenta with chicken broth (I use Bob's Red Mill Polenta - grits), let it cool completely in a pan so it is about 1.5 to 2 cm high. (I use a tarte pan.) Then I cut it in wedges and pan-fry delicately in butter or olive oil till lightly brown on either side. Serve with finely grated parmigiano reggiano. It's really delicious, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. I hear you can also barbecue the wedges, but my recipe for polenta does not make it firm enough, I think. Maybe the block of pre-made would work for that purpose?

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

"jungle curry" from a restaurant called edgewaters.

was ok - just ok.

Medium-hot Indian-esque pork and eggplant curry served with rice.