1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I've actually never worried about shellfish. You can pretty much tell if half the batch is dead before you even cook it, and then again after you cook it. On top of that, you can pretty much tell if the batch has been around for too long (your nose will give it away). I've only purchased a "way too old" batch once (thanks, Whole Foods), and even before i thought about cooking it I could tell it was a no.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

All I know is I just scored five pounds of raw, peeled and deveined, rock shrimp. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Good score what are going to do with them?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Don't have it all mapped out yet. Some tempura will certainly be happening.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Dipping sauce table spoon Mirrin Light Soy palm sugar fish sauce optional.

Marinated king prawns in coconut oil, sushi ginger (in stead of sugar) coriander green chilli then 4 to a bamboo skewer and throw on grill briefly. Mango, fine diced Spanish onions and coriander salsa. Order is all ready in for Christmas day.

6. otc

otc Senior member

They have airplanes...makes it not that big of a deal (just a bit more expensive per lb).
    Also, there is a tiny shrimp farm in Chicago...so you never know, you could be eating local seafood in a landlocked state.

Aren't a lot of fish flash frozen on board the boat? You are probably eating more previously-frozen fish than you imagined.
    For some things, you are probably better off asking for them frozen. Those shrimp in the display case? They probably came to the store frozen and they just thawed them out to sell. Unless you need to cook them the second you get home, why take a gamble on how long they sat on the shelf?
    Not seafood, but there are other products that I often ask them to pull from the freezer at my local store. For instance, they sell a fantastic loaf of brioche imported from france...I know that it comes to them frozen, so why would I buy the loaf they thawed out that might have been sitting there for a couple of days. Much better to send them to the freezer and thaw it myself right before I am going to use it.

7. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I don't eat much shellfish so cannot comment on that.
    But I was cooking a lot of cod recently, and the frozen cod (all Alaskan, from either farmer's market or Costco) was never as tender as the fresh cod.
    Also regarding frozen seafood, what about scallops and tuna? I like eating those near raw, but haven't tried it with previous frozen products.
    I am also wary of how long they leave things in the display case, which is a main deterrent from my buying seafood in supermarkets.

But all in all good to know that transportation of fish isn't as big a deal as I thought.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Brah, the FDA requires all fish that will be consumed raw to have been frozen, except for tuna. However, most tuna in the US is frozen too and you can't tell the difference. Heck, even top level sushi chefs say they use it and can't tell the difference: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyregion/sushi-fresh-from-the-deep-the-deep-freeze.html?_r=0

10. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Wow totally didn't know that FDA regulation. That's eye-opening. Going to start cooking more seafood now!

11. Geoffrey Firmin

[​IMG]

Monday night stir fry.

1 person likes this.
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just sort of experimented today. First was a braised lamb belly. Cut the piece in half, rubbed some olive oil on them then used a melange of spices like cumin, coriander, saffron then good old salt and pepper. Put the two halves on a bed of sliced onions in a braising pan and then two hours at 300F. Pulled it out and put one of the pieces under the broiler to crisp and froze the other piece in a vacuum bag.

To go with I made a faro salad. Sliced up cucumbers, olives, red onion, tomatoes, peppers in oil and then toasted some pine nuts. Dressing was Greek yogurt with some red wine vinegar, olive oil, dill, S&P and lemon juice.

Not the best looking plate ever but damn it was tasty.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Pasta alla puttanesca
    [​IMG]

Spaghetti w/ Beurre d'Échiré & Parmigiano
    [​IMG]

Yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    Pheasant legs alla cacciatora (adapted from Hazan's recipe for chicken alla cacciatora, basically just deboned pheasant legs, dredged in flour and seared in olive oil, removed from the pan, then added some thinly slied onions, some sliced carrots and celery sticks, garlic, tomato paste, white wine, reduced, added chopped tinned tomatoes, s&p, the pheasant and simmered)
    [​IMG]
    Greens cooked in olive oil & garlic (also Hazan, boiled swiss chard/cavolo nero/cime di rapa, cooked spinach, then pressed out excess water, chopped roughly and cooked in olive oil & garlic with some s&p)
    [​IMG]
    Potato stew with peppers, tomato, onions, olive oil, s&p. Also Hazan.
    [​IMG]
    Salad
    [​IMG]
    So simple, concentrated, focused flavors. So tasty.

Also made rabbit (bunny?) liver recently. Good stuff. And some ragù alla Bolognese (cooked for 10-12 hours at like 90°C in the oven)--so good. Also made cantuccini to go with some 2004 Fèlsina Vin Santo (Chianti Classico).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    3 people like this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Last pic of the year in dead thread for me. I used my Anova to do a ribeye in the exact Kenji method. Simple and turned out very nicely. Good crust from the pan finish. Just a cauli gratin I tossed together in the side dish.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Did you get his Food lab book? I'm really liking it - he's very easy to follow

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No, I just followed instructions off his webpage. As you said, easy to follow. I like how he does things very empirically, for instance, how he determined whether to add a lipid or not to the bag with aromatics.

2 people like this.
  17. Geoffrey Firmin

NYE pulled some pumpkin ravioli out of the freezer. Put some slow roasted tomatoes though the moulie added garlic, rosemary and chilli with goats chèvre and a bitter mixed leaf salad.

Washed down with Coal Pit NZ Pinot Noir 2012 and a Yabby Lake Pinot Noir 2013 to cruise through to the New Year with.

Desert a Mexican Cream Caramel with whipped cream and a Riverina clean skin Botrytis 2011.

1 person likes this.
  18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Chicken. Green veggies cooked in olive oil & garlic w/ chili and pine nutes. And torta di scarola (Hazan).
    [​IMG]

Didn't bake in a while (aside from the cantucci) but it turned out nicely even though this oven needs a thermometer. Yeast dough and you just cook the scarola in water, then in olive oil with garlic, then add some capers, olives, s&p, pine nutes and anchovies. Really great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the munchies and made some French Toast (been ages since I've last made some). Only had Ciabatta but worked very well.
    8 cl cream, 1 large egg, a dash of Kaniché rum & Clyde Common egg nog, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, 2 slices of bread. Soaked the bread on each side for a while, turned a few times before adding to the pan, then dumped the rest of the mixture on the bread. Cooked in butter, finished with butter and loads of maple syrup (added more after the pic).

[​IMG]

I actually went for a second round. This time with 8 cl Clyde Common egg nog, 1 large egg, a dash of Kaniché rum, salt, cinnamon, 2 slices of bread. Cooked in lard and finished with butter & loads of maple syrup. Much better. The lard is key, imo. Only have pancetta and guanciale (both al peperoncino) here, which don't fit very well imo, but if I had bacon I'd add some too.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    4 people like this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So, first post of the year in dead thread for me. Home made carnitas. Decided to freeze some and then eat some on a pizza. Home made dough, local green salsa, fresh cilantro, caramelized onions, fresh queso. It was pretty damn good.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.