What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. trazen101

trazen101 Member

Just simple steak and wine [​IMG]

2. Julie Sherwood

Julie Sherwood Member

3. Ringo

Ringo Senior member

Kwilk, have you tried roasting it at a lower temperature for a while first, then letting it rest (until temp stabilizes), and then finishing off at a high temp for the crust? While I haven't made a roast, I've found that technique to work pretty well for maximizing the pink and minimizing the gray. You should give it a shot next time.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Kwilk, have you tried roasting it at a lower temperature for a while first, then letting it rest (until temp stabilizes), and then finishing off at a high temp for the crust? While I haven't made a roast, I've found that technique to work pretty well for maximizing the pink and minimizing the gray. You should give it a shot next time.

I'll give that a try next time. I could do that. I'd also thought about roasting it at a lower temp first to it's cooking temp and then quickly searing it on a stovetop. I'm sure I'll figure out some way to make it better. That's what we do.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Tonight I made my mom, my bro, and myself some great top sirloin steaks with marchand de vin.

For my dad, I made cream of mushroom soup and curried risotto.

All 3 were quite good.

6. why

why Senior member

7. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

I ususally do this, and think of it as the Alton Brown method. Supposedly the low cooking first brings tproteins and stuff to the surface over time which helps in developing the nice crust at the high temp.

K

8. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

cool culinary tour of South America

Thanks!

9. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I ususally do this, and think of it as the Alton Brown method. Supposedly the low cooking first brings tproteins and stuff to the surface over time which helps in developing the nice crust at the high temp.

K

+1, I like Alton Brown's recipe.

If anyone wants to take the slow cooking over the edge, Heston Blumenthal's steak recipe calls for cooking the roast for 20+ hours at 50C/120F [​IMG] (there are actually other steps involved in his steak, as there are in a typical Blumenthal recipe, but this is the most extreme step)

10. jmel

jmel New Member

lots and lots of turkey
    !

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Tonight I made my mom, my bro, and myself some great top sirloin steaks with marchand de vin.

For my dad, I made cream of mushroom soup and curried risotto.

All 3 were quite good.

I'm a huge fan of risotto. What you prepared for your dad sounds good.

12. tricota

tricota Senior member

Leftover bits from the Christmas Lunch. Almost a Danish tappa. Bit of graved salmon, hardboiled eggs with shrimp, bit of liver pate with bacon, few meatballs...Chease and bread, and a Christmas beer or two...

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

2 whopper jr's and medium onion rings.... And it was oh so good.

14. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I'm in Vegas right now, so there are ton of great restaurants around, so far I've been to:

Restaurant Guy Savoy in Caesars's Palace, just had a few courses at the bar, I can't begin to describe the food they put out, but its something else! Not normally a fan of Sweet Breads, but I trust anything coming out of that kitchen and it was great.

Auriole at Mandalay Bay, the wine list is fantastic, on a PDA with an awesome tower cellar in the center of the restaurant that a girl goes up on a pulley/whinch system and grabs the bottle. I had the lamb chops, tender, succulent, delicious.

Olives at Bellagio, followed Kiya's recommendation and tried the Beef Carpaccio, fantastic!

Tonight going to Charlie, sure to be great.

15. SField

SField Senior member

I'm in Vegas right now, so there are ton of great restaurants around, so far I've been to:

Restaurant Guy Savoy in Caesars's Palace, just had a few courses at the bar, I can't begin to describe the food they put out, but its something else! Not normally a fan of Sweet Breads, but I trust anything coming out of that kitchen and it was great.

Auriole at Mandalay Bay, the wine list is fantastic, on a PDA with an awesome tower cellar in the center of the restaurant that a girl goes up on a pulley/whinch system and grabs the bottle. I had the lamb chops, tender, succulent, delicious.

Olives at Bellagio, followed Kiya's recommendation and tried the Beef Carpaccio, fantastic!

Tonight going to Charlie, sure to be great.

You're eating some tremendous food there, enjoy.