• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to Handsome twice... really sour coffee on the days I went. Not my thing.
What is up with sour coffee? I've tried beans from Four Barrel in SF, which were really light in color and found the coffee to be sour and I hated it. Is that just high acid coffee or is there something else going on there?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is up with sour coffee? I've tried beans from Four Barrel in SF, which were really light in color and found the coffee to be sour and I hated it. Is that just high acid coffee or is there something else going on there?

I love the richness of espresso... the depth and lustrous mouthfeel. Why the **** would I want to feel like I'm sucking on yuzu?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hmmm - I HATE the sour coffee thing you get now with drip in those places, but the espresso is usually not that way. I usually get a macchiato anyway, so maybe that's masking the sour. The beans they sell make a undrinkably sour coffee when I tried to use them at home. Four Barrel too. Whatever this trend is strikes me as really strange, because I don't know who the market is for this light colored sour coffee, and also they all seem to be Intelligentsia alumni, and the coffee there isn't like that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all these places I went to are Intelligenstia alums. I went to "Fix" in Echo Park too... same sort of stuff. To me they must have the same palates as the california wine idiots.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys are weird. espresso is supposed to sour albeit with balanced mouthfeel, richness, and bitterness. yuzu notes in espresso sounds delicious

if you dont like the acid notes in brewed coffee ask them to do an immersion brew instead like a french press, clever, syphon, or an aeropress (in order of ascending acidity). get earthier beans from places like java or mocha. i also usually find unwashed coffee (eg most coffees in ethiopia and brazil) to be rich and fruity enough that the slight acidity they have is nice backdrop.

i highly doubt your beans were made to be undrinkably sour. not sure what method you're using but you should play around with the variables.

thinking about it even a few years ago i used to hate any acid notes in coffee and i thought i was superior and in good taste when i ordered starbucks coffee and told people i like my coffee "strong", but after learning more, having gone to quite a few cuppings, and drinking a lot of coffee i find myself gravitating towards nicely balanced acidity.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you guys are weird. espresso is supposed to sour albeit with balanced mouthfeel, richness, and bitterness. yuzu notes in espresso sounds delicious
if you dont like the acid notes in brewed coffee ask them to do an immersion brew instead like a french press, clever, syphon, or an aeropress (in order of descending acidity). get earthier beans from places like java or mocha. i also usually find unwashed coffee (eg most coffees in ethiopia and brazil) to be rich and fruity enough that the slight acidity they have is nice backdrop.
i highly doubt your beans were made to be undrinkably sour. not sure what method you're using but you should play around with the variables.

Despite you're fluency with pretentious coffee jargon that most of us have the good sense to eschew, your post is completely unhelpful and mildly annoying, and I didn't think it could get any worse until...

thinking about it even a few years ago i used to hate any acid notes in coffee and i thought i was superior and in good taste when i ordered starbucks coffee and told people i like my coffee "strong", but after learning more, having gone to quite a few cuppings, and drinking a lot of coffee i find myself gravitating towards nicely balanced acidity.

There you go, you really finished strong. Bravo.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:p thanks brah i tried hard.

i don't understand what part of that was pretentious coffee jargon. all i was saying was if you play around with the variables (ie how much water you put in, how long you brew the coffee, what temperature you brew the coffee, if you heat the vessels beforehand) i am sure you'd be able to find a spot where your coffee wasn't undrinkably sour

also i meant ascending acidity. if you dont like sour at all ask them to do a french press. if you dont like grinds but dont mind a little sour ask for a clever pourover. really not that hard.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:facepalm:

I truly think that coffee snobs are some of the worst snobs out there. And that's coming from a guy who drinks 8 espressos a day and despise bad coffee.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i apologize if i was coming off as pretentious or snobby. i was just trying to be helpful.

if there was anything i wrote that needs further explaining i would be happy to do so.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any use of the term "cupping" when not used in the context of blow jobs will likely be met with derision.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Any use of the term "cupping" when not used in the context of blow jobs will likely be met with derision.

:laugh: You just won the Netwebs for the day. (No h8 on indie).

Suggestions for a good snack to go with Champs? I want to have it pre-made, or mostly so, as en evening snack and bottle after a day of festivities out on the town.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is nothing that so irritates a snob as other people's pretentions!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads