1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Now that sounds like a winner. Next time I can find some nice sole I'll add in the spuds.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Just re: the "Fancy coleslaw": it's very delicious but expect to need 1.5 times the amount of dressing stated in the recipe.
    Similar for the cauliflower cake, expect to need 5 times as much sesame/nigella seeds to get a nice coating.

3. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

question about cooking filet mignon with a cast-iron: is it better to use stove-top only with olive oil followed by butter basting, or do a stove+oven combo? Alton Brown has a stove+oven combo where the oven goes up to 500F, but it's for ribeye so I'm a bit dubious on whether it gives the best possible filet

4. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Didn't know it was called that!

[​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Feel like I'm pushing my luck posting another dish so soon after you guys being so nice about the sole. Today I braised some short ribs, took part of the braising liquid and skimmed off fat then reduced, and made a bed of cauliflower and parsnip puree. Paired it with an 04 Peay Syrah and it was a winner.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks, guys. I was happy with it as the plating turned out pretty much as I envisioned it. The sprigs I think were a bit "precious" and next time I'll just do what I did right after the pic, which is strip the sprig and just sprinkle that fresh thyme over things. Appreciate the positive feedback.

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I cook filet rarely, but when I do I like to on the stovetop, turning and basting in foaming butter throughout cooking. Depending on the size, you might want to stick it in an oven for a few minutes, but if you keep the temperature in your pan low enough, you really don't have to. Conversely, you could brown the fillet quickly in foaming butter on all sides, then place on a rack in a 300F oven and cook it slowly that way. This gives you a very even temperature throughout, almost like if you had cooked it sous vide. Just don't forget to rest before slicing/eating.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Hazan's Minestrona alla Romagnola. Love it.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Scottish wood pigeon with autumn vegetables and fruits
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Grilled Asparagus, Leeks and Aubergine with Halloumi. With a Radicchio, Rocket and Red Oak salad with simple olive oil lemon and S&P dressing.

Washed down with Coppabella The Crest Single Vineyard 2011 Pinot Noir.

Tonight Spaghetti alla Norma with home made spelt spaghetti been cooking slowly now for two hours and has two more to go before serving washed down with a cleanskin Victorian high country Shiraz. And Mrs GF is making a apple and raspberry crumble for desert with whipped Tilba Tilba cream on the side

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Pumpkin risotto with confit pigeon legs and smoked bacon
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I have the best quality truffles in the market at the moment. White alba in various sizes, as well as Burgundy. Prices are very reasonable. PM me if interested.

14. tropics

tropics Senior member

i presume the answer is yes, but is hazan's book worth getting?

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

YES!

One of my very favorite books. Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, that is.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  16. tropics

tropics Senior member

cool. i will check it out.
    up till now my italian standard has been giorgio locatelli - made in italy.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Curious what is the taste difference between the white and black truffle? Truffle season finished here about a month ago (Sigh)

Ottolenghi Aubergine Cheesecake no fetta so used chèvre which has been has been drying out for a week and my oregano which has come out of winter hibernation. With fresh steamed asparagus and a rocket and red oak salad. Washed down with a clean skin Pinot Noir from Otago NZ.

Macerated strawberries in Grand Marnier, lemon juice and golden caster sugar with Tilba Tilba thickened cream.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  18. Crat

Crat Senior member

[​IMG]

'Ossobuco' with lamb instead of veal and a mushroom risotto.

3 people like this.
  19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Aubergine cheesecake

[​IMG]

Tastes great. I ended up using 2/3-3/4 of the cheese/cream/egg-mixture and cut the aubergine lengthise (didn't read the recipe closely enough; works well too). It's especially good when it's still warm, but not hot--the tomato shines best that way.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Geoffrey Firmin

Tonight NRL Grand Final so homemade Goats cheese gnocchi with a baked tomato, then through a moulie and further reduced with fresh oregano, garlic black pepper cumin and chilli sauce. Just before serving I crumble some cherve and whisk it into the sauce.

Fresh mixed green salad.

Orange scented creme caramel.

Washed down with two bottles of Saddleback Central Otago 2011 Pinot Noir.

Tomorrow is a public holiday so double expresso and gym to work it all off.