• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Overall, a very great meal with a very great group. It was just a wonderful time. I honestly think we could have had a great ti me eating together at Wendy's.

Totally misunderstood. Waited at Wendy's an hour for you guys. Ended up having a large Chili. They offered one garnish, not 60.

BTW, should mention that this made me LOL. Wish you could have been there!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overall, a very great meal with a very great group. It was just a wonderful time. I honestly think we could have had a great ti me eating together at Wendy's.

Totally misunderstood. Waited at Wendy's an hour for you guys. Ended up having a large Chili. They offered one garnish, not 60.

BTW, should mention that this made me LOL. Wish you could have been there!

+1

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Okay, it's still sideways but here is the aforementioned final dessert course video, complete with my drunken rambling
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Edit:

Found a video where it's right side up and everything, but for a two-top
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I definitely remember that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ate dinner at Daniel last night.
Canapes were a trio of beets. One with tuna, a puree, and another with something I can't remember. I have had beets as a part of the canapes twice here before, and remember being shocked how flavorful each bite was. Seasoned delicately, yet precisely, allowing the flavor of beets to linger. Additionally, a chilled crab salad with green apple, which, like the beets, had a sensational taste. Both were very refreshing; a nice way to start a meal.
I drank a 1998 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Riesling from Pfalz with my dinner.
First course was smoked sturgeon with caviar, purple potato, horseradish cream, and majii salad. Sturgeon prepared three ways: smoked, cured, and seared. The classic combination of smoked sturgeon with potato and caviar was really wonderful, and, for me, the standout of the three.
Then, out came what the menu called a "celebration" of white asparagus from Provence. A celebration, indeed, though, it was more like a religious experience. To the right, a chilled, velvety white soup with chive blossoms and prosciutto. This was so delicately seasoned and balanced, each spoonful better than the last. In the center were three, fat, spears of steamed white asparagus, the tips a faint purple. A rectangular bread tuille placed on top, herbs, almond oil, and sitting to the left a mustard dressing which I would describe as one of the greatest things I've tasted. It was almost like a broken hollandaise, with a stream of egg yolk in the center. The asparagus were sweet and succulent, with an earthiness that eludes any white asparagus I've tasted before. This was, without a question, the standout of the entire meal, and something I will remember for a long time.
Florida frog legs with variation of asparagus (green), favas, nettle peppercorn jus. This was pretty straightforward. Crispy "lollipop", along with a fricassee, which I believe was glazed lightly in chicken jus, with a few drops of sherry vinegar. A good use of seasoning, as frog can have the tendency of being rather bland. The asparagus were, again, really excellent. Served sauteed, shaved raw, and tempura battered. I like frog, so I enjoyed this dish.
Out next came a piece of cedar-wrapped, red king salmon, which was unveiled table side and placed atop a bed of lambs-quarters a la crème. To the right, an erect morel, stuffed with, I believe, more morels; a tempura battered "ring" of morel, and a lovely golden pomme duchesse. Served with a bourbon jus, which did not taste anything like bourbon. The salmon was cooked perfectly, but I missed anything that wrapping it in cedar did for the flavor, and the jus could have used a bit more fat. The little fried morel ring was awesome, and something I will probably try at home. A good dish, even though the salmon was a bit underwhelming.
Roasted veal tenderloin with artichoke barigoule (half of a baby poivrade sitting to the side).
Oregano braised cheeks with snow peas, sweetbreads, petit pois a la Française. The quality of the veal was phenomenal. I did not get the name of the farm, but I was told it was out of Colorado. The tenderloin was cooked sous vide, the cheeks braised in red wine until meltingly tender, and the sweetbread was poached in something miraculous before being dusted and fried crisp. The petit pois were vibrant and brought the dish alive. A very well balanced plate.
Lastly was a gorgeous, lacquered fillet of Liberty Farm duck breast; rhubarb, radishes, turnips, and a szechuan pepper jus. The garnish was extremely well composed. A complete balance of acidity and sweetness, very good range of textures, and elements hidden amongst the dish that felt akin to foraging for flavors (a little gem of blanched (or pickled) ginger, wrapped in what I believe was a thin shaving of radish, reminiscent of gari, and a pleasantly sweet, rhubarb compote beneath the breast). But, more than just the garnish, the quality of the duck itself is what really carried this dish above and beyond.
Cheese and a few really beautiful stalks of mache to round things out. The Époisses was excellent.
The service was flawless, as usual. This is how fine dining should be. And while I enjoyed EMP, I can't quite fathom how it is even considered in the same league as Daniel.

You're a better food writer than people who get paid to do it.

Just tell me about the food please and spare me the 4th rate prose.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean you don't love things like this? :satisfied:

It began with fried moss and nearly ended at the sight of two prawns visibly wriggling within a tightly sealed glass jar, carefully positioned atop robust cubes of ice. Eyes widened, Tim and I exchanged nervous glances, stupefied by what would be the least conventional of our 28 courses at Noma, and that's saying a lot.

Recently named the world's best by the San Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants, Noma inhabits a distinct gastronomical place: imaginative, yet down to Earth. Although it's practically impossible to attain a reservation (my friend Tim knows a Danish food critic, which is how we scored ours), any concerns of pretension evaporate upon arrival.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you guys enjoyed Alinea. I really think it's one of the best in the world. Never get let down. in my opinion, it has the best pairings in the world.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Glad you guys enjoyed Alinea. I really think it's one of the best in the world. Never get let down. in my opinion, it has the best pairings in the world.

Pairings of flavors, or wine pairings?
Because last time we went, the average wine pairing was very odd, and not very good. There were 2 or 3 that "worked," none that lifted either the food or the wine to something greater than the sum of its parts. It aimed more for the obscure than the pleasurable, IMO. TBH, I kind of felt like the pairings last time were like Moto's food. "Look at what we can do!!! Sure it doesn't taste great, but look at what we did!"

BTW, I say that after telling Matt our first time there over and over and over again how we HAD to get the pairings b/c everybody spoke so highly of them for years. I was embarrassed.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Although I did see that they were pouring a '72 vintage port with the dessert course, so that would have definitely been a step up from what we had last time.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pairings of flavors, or wine pairings?
Because last time we went, the average wine pairing was very odd, and not very good. There were 2 or 3 that "worked," none that lifted either the food or the wine to something greater than the sum of its parts. It aimed more for the obscure than the pleasurable, IMO. TBH, I kind of felt like the pairings last time were like Moto's food. "Look at what we can do!!! Sure it doesn't taste great, but look at what we did!"
BTW, I say that after telling Matt our first time there over and over and over again how we HAD to get the pairings b/c everybody spoke so highly of them for years. I was embarrassed.

I went last June and they were still fantastic.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insanity. That cannot be judged without experiencing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics