• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for a few years I ate mostly blazing hot food, in india. I do not believe that there is any culture who eats, at every meal, such spicy food. on the weekends I would eat the blandest available things just to calm down my system.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I don't eat so much blazingly hot food anymore, but since my dad is a long-time devotee to the Mo Hotta Mo Betta catalogue, there've been a few habanero lollipops and scotch bonnet pizza toppings in my past.

Still on the chicken broth (flu? Hope not. I did get my shot) diet, so I'll reminisce about Friday night.

Fresh green beans sautÃ
00a9.png
d with olive oil and garlic
Fresh cheese tortellini with olive oil and pecorino romano
Porterhouse steak, medium-rare, nothing but salt and pepper

The olive oil is from Galardi, one of my favorite small Italian vintners. Exquisitely fruity and full-bodied.

Domaine de Martinolles 1999 Brut Cremant de Limoux--rich, earthy, and complicated. I'm always on the lookout for whites that can be decribed using terms other than 'fresh' and 'clean.' Best luck so far has been champagnes/sparkling whites.

Chateau Brun 1996 Saint-Emilion--like drinking silk. I kept the food simple but flavorful to compliment the wine, and man did it work. Old enough for all edges to be rounded off, but full and fruity enough to match the steak and the oil.

This was definitely a meal to remember.

Tom

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight, I am preparing a Pork Loin marinated in Maple syrup, squash brazed on the grill with an onion topping, broccoli served with a vinegarette, and a white.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner at my "adoptive" Russian mother. A variety of zakouskis with soothing conversation and a begging cat. Stuffed peppers, Polish marinated tomato salad, smoked tuna, various cold cuts from Russia.

Some liquid passing as wine from Trader Joe's. I shouldn't have talked her out of opening the Passetoutgrains.

Stu, I like spicy hot food as well, but probably not as consistently as you do. I knew an old man from Spain when I was growing up who swore that the secret to his longevity (he lived to be 100 years old) was that he ate 2 raw hot peppers with his breakfast, and had a glass of Banuyls at the cafÃ
00a9.png
before his afternoon walk.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one had to be posted: my husband refused to eat what I made last night. I thought it was succulent. Beef liver with garlic/vinegar sauce
cry.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dinner last night:

At Kitiyama in Newport Beach (one of the very very best sushi restaurants in the greater LA area)

Miso Soup

Premium Bluefin Toro thickly sliced

Yellowtail and Tuna

Shrimp Tempura rolls

A pretty light dinner, but the toro was out of this world. Kitiyama is owned by a boutique fish company that supplies sushi to other top Japanese restaurants, so they get the best cuts of fish. The toro in question was swimming around the Pacific earlier that morning, and it was absolutely decadent. Without a doubt the best fish I've ever tasted.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well there's no shortage of good Japanese restaurants in Sin City.

cuffthis

Reaction score
On Saturday night 3/5/05, we hosted a wine dinner for our wino friends. The evening's dinner was prepared prepared by chef Richie Griffen of Dish., in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Richie was kind enough to come to our house to prepare the meal.

To Begin:

Smoke salmon on petite croutons; mustard dill sauce

1999 Larmandier-Bernier Grand Cru Champagne Vielle Vigne de Cramant Blanc de Blancs

Dinner:

Baked phyllo with prosciutto, lleks and Roquefort cheese; balsamis reduction drizzle

2001 Chateau Rieussec Saturners

Pan seared sea scallops, natural pan jus, butter, lemon zest, sea salt

2002 F.X. Pichler Gruner Veltliner Smaragard Trocken Loibner Berg

Wild mushroom creme soup, white truffle oil

2001 Benoit Ente Puligny-Montrachet

Roasted lamb rack, light veal demi glace;potatoes Anna, caramelized shallots

1985 Deleger "Morgeot" chassagne-Montrachet

Beef tenderloin carpaccio, whole grain mustard, truffle oil, capers, sliced red onions;Bremmer wafers

1994 Chateau Villars Fronsac (magnum)

Individual choclate velvet torte, chocolate mouse, ganache

1977 Real Cavelha Port

Apres Dinner:

Assortment of fine cheeses, fruit, crackers

2000 Quinta do Vale Mao, Duoro

A fine time was held by all 12 of us. Wonderful food, great wines, outstanding conversation.

But we spent all day Sunday handwashing all the wine glasses (sob).

johnw86

Reaction score
Salmon on a bed of linguine with lobster bisque sauce. Turned out very nicely.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salmon on a bed of linguine with lobster bisque sauce.  Turned out very nicely.
How did you make the lobster bisque sauce?  

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choucroute garnie maison. For those who might not be familiar with this: it is a sauerkraut dish from Alsace, cooked in white wine, with juniper berries, coriander seeds, cloves, various cuts of pork, served with ham, sausage and potatoes. Heineken.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a very informal visit from friends of ours (and my children):

Chicken-leek stew. A variant of coq au vin, really.

In a large pot, cook some bacon. In the resulting grease, brown chicken breasts dredged in flour. Remove chicken.

Add some butter and thyme to the pot, and sweat carrots (cut up like matchsticks) and sliced leeks, maybe also a bunch of garlic. In a separate pan, saute mushrooms in butter and thyme.

Throw it all together with some white wine. Crumble the bacon and add it back in.

Last night was 8 half breasts of chicken, so 2 bottles of white burgundy. [Riesling also works if it's not too acidic. I have some 99 Ausleses that I hate to drink because they are so flabby--- those make a good sauce.]

Cook partially uncovered for a while (40 minutes?), remove chicken and slice up. Salt and pepper to taste. Throw back in the pot, and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

To drink, we had 2 bottles of 99 Meursault from Roulot--- Meix Chevaux and Charmes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads