• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What determine quality of dress pants?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have about 7-8 pairs of dress pants bought from a reputable clothier in a developing country for $15 a piece. I have been wearing them for 2 years and all still seem like new with seams/buttons/threads intact.

I recently bought a pair from Brooks Brothers which originally cost $225 or something. However, I see virtually no different in term of materials. BB pants have slightly higher stitch count, but does it even matter?

My question is that what determine the quality of pants? Since obviously in my case, I would rather buy 15 pairs of that $15 pants than a pair of $225 BB.

Related question, how come Incotex is so popular?

Thanks all

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
My question is that what determine the quality of pants? Since obviously in my case, I would rather buy 15 pairs of that $15 pants than a pair of $225 BB.

lot of the times quality doesnt always mean how well it holds up. lot of quality comes in the richness of the fabric, decadence of the fabric, the exclusive design, and it may not always hold up. like buying BMW (for argument sake) you are buying performance , but of course toyota will hold up better.

Related question, how come Incotex is so popular?

Thanks all

they have a very good cut and are popular here because of the fact they can be had on deep discount regularly

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that having pants that hold up well does equate to higher quality sometimes. Of course, it's not always the case. Years ago I had some terrible target pants that, for some odd reasons, I loved to wear. They held up wonderfully but looked like crap. I say, if the pants look well, fit well, and are made with a nice fabric, then they are quality pants. Sure, a Kiton Super 220's suit may not be durable, but Brooks Brothers chinos are.

Incotex pants are high quality (well made/good fabrics) and fit well. Their retail price is quite considerable, so I wouldn't place them in an inexpensive category. However, at some stores on the east coast they can be gotten for outrageously inexpensive prices. I'm not sure anyone has discovered the reason why they're sold for so cheap there.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
if the pants look well, fit well, and are made with a nice fabric, then they are quality pants

See, my pants fit perfectly and look nice, the fabric is not worse than the BB pants I got, but they're $15. I am just wondering what I am missing.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, my pants fit perfectly and look nice, the fabric is not worse than the BB pants I got, but they're $15. I am just wondering what I am missing.

Wasting your money?

If you're happy with them then why change a good thing. Spend the money on other items that don't work as well for you. Maybe shirts...

It's easy to get caught up with the high-end stuff on this forum but try to resist. You'll really end up that much happier for it I think.

I've been thinking about getting a new pair of raw (solid jeans) because my current ones are outdated IMO. So I've been spending some time in the SW&D section where everyone is excited about spending $200+ on jeans. I started considering getting some more expensive, high-end denim but then I tried on a pair of regular Levi's 505s and they're "good enough". Bought them for $24 from Macy's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics