• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What credit card do you use

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone have the black Amex? Because I hear that makes you 133+.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ I always like to see who will say they have a Centurion card. What's the requirements? 200k a year in personal spending (vs. business) and/or "substantial wealth"?

Amex Platinum. Great for travel (upgrades galore).
Citibank Platinum something...Diamond maybe? I use that for 'Net purchases as one time someone got my Citibank # and their security shut things down ASAP and the charges were reversed that day. I was very impressed.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Centurion is the biggest ripoff in cc's. It's arguably not even better than an Amex Platinum card, which is fantastic but costs too much for someone who travels as infrequently as I do.

Amex SPG is all I use.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amex blue card. Great rewards - i got back almost $300 in cold hard cash last year. Plus I have been complemented quite a few times on how cool the card looks. Also a bank visa as a backup and gap card - cant close it!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Anyone have the black Amex? Because I hear that makes you 133+.

Plus, it costs too much even if you qualify.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Plus, it costs too much even if you qualify.

Wow.

You have to spend $250,000 a year on a non-black AmEx card just to qualify. Then it's $5,000 to join, with a $2,500 annual fee.

And the benefits seem nice, but not nice enough to warrant that fee. Most of the benefits are of the "buy one, get one free" variety, so you only get them if you spend, spend, spend (which presumably one is doing anyway) at one of AmEx's parterns (which may or may not be the case).

Not a great deal.

Wouldn't someone with that much money have a better head for figures, and realize that this card is not a great deal?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You would think, but I don't think the Black is about the bennies. It's about the cachet. That, or you're getting your company to pay for it anyway.

I recently got an invitation to upgrade to a Delta Skymiles "Reserve" Amex. For $450/year. You do get a "concierge," but I'm not sure what I'd do with one.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wow.

You have to spend $250,000 a year on a non-black AmEx card just to qualify. Then it's $5,000 to join, with a $2,500 annual fee.

And the benefits seem nice, but not nice enough to warrant that fee. Most of the benefits are of the "buy one, get one free" variety, so you only get them if you spend, spend, spend (which presumably one is doing anyway) at one of AmEx's parterns (which may or may not be the case).

Not a great deal.

Wouldn't someone with that much money have a better head for figures, and realize that this card is not a great deal?

I only know one person who has it and they claim that the concierge service makes it worth it to him. He travels a lot and typically has a lot of "issues" when he does in terms of stuff he wants/needs and he claims they are the best and easiest to deal with. I saw their rewards catalog once and the stuff is impressive but if you are already spending that kind of loot annually, a free big screen TV is not that big of a deal I guess.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CIBC Visa, though my wife uses it more than I do.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I guess this lifestyle is so alien to the way I live, that I just can't see the value. I don't need a conceirge either. Once or twice a year, maybe, I get bummed that I can't get into a restaurant that I want to go to at the date and time that I want, but hey, that's life. There's always somewhere else.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use several. A Chase mastercard that gives you 5% cash back at gas stations, pharmacies and grocery stores (
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
) and a miles card elsewhere. I also rotate to arbitrage statement closing cycles and to maximize float.

I have the same cards. I think the 5%/1% Rewards was replaced by a 3%/1% Freedom card so I'm glad I got the 5% when it was around. Someone asked about mileage cards and whether they're any good. I'm going to Hawaii this winter for 35,000 miles. United had tons of available dates even during peak season and my exact ticket is about $1300-1400 otherwise so a great use of miles. The opening bonus of 25k or whatever gives you a good start too. Only store card I use is Neiman's. They give 5% off which nearly takes care of tax.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You would think, but I don't think the Black is about the bennies. It's about the cachet. That, or you're getting your company to pay for it anyway.

Can your company pay for it though? I thought the spending had to be personal in nature, not business?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use an AMEX for pretty much everything.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I use an AMEX for pretty much everything.

Don't leave home without it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear I saw a dude pay for 2 beers in a Palo Alto bar with an Amex Black. Does that sound plausible?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads