• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What counts as a High-Rise in trousers?

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

quick question; I know a Low-Rise usually equates to about 9-1/2" to 10" - but what is usually regarded as the kind of threshold in numbered measurement between a Medium and a High Rise?

Many thanks.

Andy_00

Reaction score
It depends on your height. Low rise is normally hip hugging, medium rise will sit on top of the hips close to the natural waist, and high rise will be at the natural waist or even higher. I’m 6ft1" so for me low rise is around 9.5-10’ like you suggest. Medium rise would be around 10.5-11" and high rise anything much above this. For shorter guys, 10" may be more like medium rise,

This all assumes that by ‘rise’ you are not referring to the technically correct ‘rise’ definition (outseam minus inseam) but are using it in the commonplace sense to mean the length of the seam between the top of the front waistband and the fork at the crotch.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,
great - many thanks for that.

And yep, I meant the commonplace definition (had never heard of the technically correct one, so thanks for that also).

Andy_00

Reaction score
There is also a proper distinction between ‘high rise’ and ‘long rise’ (and equally between low and short rise). However I can’t quite recall what it is.

Andy_00

Reaction score
I think, now that I half recall, that short rise pants are intended to achieve a normal type of fit for short men, whereas low rise pants seek to acheive a fit lower on the hips. Hence the length of the rise might be the same in each case, but the cut of the pants in general is quite different (for instance, low rise pants will have less difference in circumference between waist and hips. Short rise pants, which are intended to sit closer to the waist of the short chap, will be nipped in more at the waist.)

paxonus

Reaction score
Then there is the Super-High-Rise, aka, the pants that ate Fred Mertz:

use2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads