• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What comes after the navy blazer?

math4tito

Reaction score
I am building the basics in my wardrobe and I found a navy blazer that I am pleased with.

With that being said, what is the next must-have sport coat that I should begin looking for?

Thank you

Balfour

Reaction score
Big, open question.

The hackneyed advice would be a blue odd jacket (brown buttons, so not a blazer) and a brown tweed. But where do suits fit in? What look are you aspiring to? What is your work dress code?, &c. &c.

Macallan

Reaction score

where do suits fit in?  What look are you aspiring to?  What is your work dress code?

Once these question have been answered it would be easy to make a suggestion.

Assuming you will try to wear the blazer throughout the year if possible, tweed would be a good option; however, colour and pattern would depend on your style.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In what context will you be wearing this garment?

math4tito

Reaction score
Big, open question.

The hackneyed advice would be a blue odd jacket (brown buttons, so not a blazer) and a brown tweed. But where do suits fit in? What look are you aspiring to? What is your work dress code?, &c. &c.

The look I am working towards is a simple and classic style by building a collection of more timeless pieces. My work environment is business casual so suits will be rarely employed, but I want to rise above the mundane slacks and dress shirt. WIth that being said I do live in south Texas so some of the heavier fabrics don't have nearly the utility here that they would elsewhere.

I did invest in a navy blazer that I am pleased with but I am not sure what is the next "must have" coat to incorporate.

Withaque

Reaction score
Don't get another coat until you have good shoes. Two of the following styles should get you through most occasions(links are for illustrating different styles; not recommending you purchase Alden):

http://www.aldenshoes.com/Content/Store/990.jpg
http://www.aldenshoes.com/Content/Store/C906.jpg
http://www.aldenshoes.com/Content/Store/alden.962.jpg
http://www.aldenshoes.com/Content/Store/975.jpg
http://www.aldenshoes.com/Content/Store/984.jpg

You will only need brown for now.

You teach in South Texas. Get the chino's, lightweight mid grey flannels and blue shirts before you worry about the other jacket.

But if you insist, and are close to Houston, the Ralph Lauren store has this tweed jacket

http://www.ralphlauren.com/contentPopup/index.jsp?productId=12561229

for close to $200. It is a good weight for South Texas in the winter.

cosmic

Reaction score
I'd go for a mid-blue odd jacket, then light or mid-grey, then either brown or green.

I agree with Withaque about the shoes, trousers, and shirts.

Shoes; dark brown oxfords; mid-brown monks or loafers

Trousers: off-white cotton chinos for summer, mid-grey flannels for cooler weather

Shirts: white, cream, light blue solids; and a couple of blue/white checks and stripes

Last edited:

jsanders65

Reaction score
try an unstructured grey sport coat

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey odd jacket? Eh... I wouldn't.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Grey would be my 5th or 6th choice - though a nice herringbone could work

I would start with a second, different blue coat - if you have a lightweight blazer, then get a heavier, textured one (flannel, or donegal). If your navy coat is a winter weight, then try getting a fresco or linen coat. In fact, there are probably three or four essentials right there

Next I would go for a classic tweed, or tweed-like (moonbeam, glorious twelfth) check coat. Or a plain donegal / breanish tweed in green or brown

Having covered these basics I would probably go for some unlined, lightweight summer coat (plain linens, gunclub checks)

Then I would consider a grey odd coat

R-O-T

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching this on the weekend and thought "how do I not have this jacket?". Hard to tell from the pic, it's grey herringbone.

Last edited:

Racing Green

Reaction score
Harry Callahan is one of my sartorial heroes - tweed sportscoats, natural coloured baracuta, suede chukkas, cardigans, Magnum 45......

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The man's in South Texas, tweed seems a bit optimistic to me. I don't break it out unless we go under 60 degrees. Fabrics you'd be looking at are tropical wool (8-10oz), fresco, linen or gabardine. In terms of colours and patterns: you have blue, so I'd look at brown or tan. Think about subtle patterns, PoWs, small gun clubs or houndstooth checks. No large and colourful plaids unless your workspace is in a trailer with the motor running.

One other thing. I don't get the tough love on grey herringbone on this forum, especially in an informal context. It goes very well with denim and some colours of chino.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics