What colour trousers with donegal SC?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Thin White Duke, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Apologies if his has been done before but I didn't see anything with a search.

I'm in the market for a donegal jacket, 'salt and pepper' mottled grey coloured. Given the igent aversion to charcoal, navy and black odd trousers, should I go for the suit, or something in lighter than navy blue, or will it have to be something less formal like wine cords, tan cavalry twills etc. ?

Anybody who has a similar jacket please chip in with thoughts. Thanks.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I would just avoid getting a grey donegal jacket to begin with. I have an air force blue donegal jacket and wear it with light grey flannels.

3. bertie

bertie Senior member

I second that vote. Grey can be tough to match anyway and lots of Donegals look "washed out" relative to their other tweedy cousins. If your heart is set I would recommend going as dark as you can find.

4. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Thanks for the replies. I realize there's a general consensus against grey jackets due to their difficulty in pairing. Air Force blue sounds interesting but from a distance the texture will dissolve into a security guard look and I already have several blue and navy odd jackets.

Might have to rethink this one but it is available as a suit. Any thoughts on salt and pepper suit?

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

The advice given is good.

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If it's a suit grey is OK. But as an odd jacket, if you don't want blue you could opt for a brownish colour and wear it with light grey flannels too.

7. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

If you can go bespoke/MTM, the P&H Thornproof bunch has some nice shades. I have a beige/stone with orange flecks that is my number 1 winter sport coat.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Take this abck to basics - Ignore iGent - such an assertion is a nonsense.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I wouldn't have any problem wearing such a fabric as a suit, but I also wouldn't have any problem wearing it with a pair of darker blue or navy trousers, or even a pair of brown trousers (such as a milk chocolate colour).

Wearing such a jacket in winter with a pair of black or navy corduroy trousers would be nice, too.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is with blue odd trousers - I've got several pairs and they look great with grey, brown or cream jackets.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

10. bertie

bertie Senior member

it's the matching that can pose a problem. I have a donegal suit from P&H which i quite like but would rarely use as a jacket alone.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

TWD, I was just meeting with Joe of My Tailor. He had these amazing cashmere donegal tweeds from Solbiati. If you really want a jacket only, I think the medium blue or the dark brown would be very attractive and easy to match with flannels or twills.

[​IMG]

12. E TF

E TF Senior member

From GDL203 -

[​IMG]

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

I can't find it now, but I remember reading an argument between Doc Holiday and Manton about grey odd jackets, in which Manton conceded that a grey donegal odd jacket was a nice thing (but grey whipcord disgusting).
    I have been tempted to order one myself, but only imagine using it in more casual contexts, like GDL. I think it would look quite good with jeans for example. Can't imagine wearing it with any outfit that called for a tie.

14. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

They aren't the easiest jackets to match and this is about the best I can do with mine.

[​IMG]

15. E TF

E TF Senior member

Here's another casual grey donegal jacket, courtesy of NickPollica in the NSM thread.

[​IMG]

Funky ticket pocket.