• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Colour Shirt with Beige Suit

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thrifted this phenomenal beige sharkskin suit. I have a couple of occasions to wear it this year, and will probably find one or two more. I've never had, or thought, about a suit of this colour, but it is actually now the best suit I own. It's fully canvassed, hand finished, made from beautiful fabric, and generally awesome.

I'm really not sure what colour shirt, and tie, to wear with it. I might make this my first shirt from one of the low-cost MTM vendors, like Luxire. I'm feeling like white isn't going to be best. Top picture is probably a little truer to colour, but second picture is in more natural light, and I'll be wearing it outdoors. What sort of colours should I be considering?

I know the sleeves need to be lengthened (there is enough ease t let them down 3/4" easily), and the pants shortened a touch. I don't really like it with those shoes, either - might go with burgundy?

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue and blue-white striped. As always :)

Stiva

Reaction score
This is a difficult colour, especially where the suit is wool and you have a relatively light complexion.

You need something to break up the expanse of light colour that the suit and your face would otherwise make. White can be good for the advanced and those with darker complexions, otherwise something like a royal blue/white gingham, a red/white gingham (depending on skin tone), or there is a photo of SkinnyGoomba somewhere on this thread wearing a larger check purple/white gingham to nice effect. I think the best for me is a wider royal blue/white stripe - like the Italian gentleman below (although I know that is a tobacco coloured suit, it works with beige). Light blues and sky blues don't work as well unless you have tanned skin.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
This is a difficult colour, especially where the suit is wool and you have a relatively light complexion.

You need something to break up the expanse of light colour that the suit and your face would otherwise make. White can be good for the advanced and those with darker complexions, otherwise something like a royal blue/white gingham, a red/white gingham (depending on skin tone), or there is a photo of SkinnyGoomba somewhere on this thread wearing a larger check purple/white gingham to nice effect. I think the best for me is a wider royal blue/white stripe - like the Italian gentleman below (although I know that is a tobacco coloured suit, it works with beige). Light blues and sky blues don't work as well unless you have tanned skin.
+1, excellent response. I also think pale lilac/lavender works well with beige in addition to more saturated purples, again if you're tanned, like with light/sky blue.

Stiva, the bolded quote - I remember this being stated by Manton in the white shirt thread, but don't recall every seeing an explanation anywhere. I've tried white with my beige sport coats from time to time and never, ever been satisfied with the result - what's the secret? No tie or PS selection I've tried seems to remedy.

Stiva

Reaction score
Yes Andrew, I have read the same statement and been similarly unable to find an explanation. I have a beige suit in tropical wool that presents problems, and various posts on this site indicate this is a common experience.

In summary, I think it may be a number, or sometimes a combination, of factors that govern the success or otherwise of the white shirt.

If the suit is linen or cotton with a slubbier or rougher texture the contrast of a smooth white shirt may work. Conversely, a smooth wool suit will not provide the same textural contrast.

Tan skin can help - but usually only Mediteranean type skin.

If the tan suit is a grey-toned tan rather than a yellow-toned tan, a white shirt provides a better contrast. Same thing if the suit is just darker generally.

A navy or chocolate coloured tie can help break up the expanse of lighter fabric.

Some people just give up on the beige/tan suit - including, I have seen on this site, people with advanced skill and taste like Claghorn.

This doesn't work even though it's professionally photographed for commercial purposes.

This works, probably because it's a grey-toned tan and because it's Ryan Gosling.

Sometimes it looks like it works, probably because it's Warren Beatty.

But then on a different viewing it doesn't work even though it is Warren.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Wow, grey-toned tan really does seem to make a big difference - Gosling notwithstanding. Unfortunately none of mine are like that; c'est la vie.Thanks.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
I know the sleeves need to be lengthened (there is enough ease t let them down 3/4" easily), and the pants shortened a touch. I don't really like it with those shoes, either - might go with burgundy?

I would go definitely go with brown over burgundy with beige. Also, consider having the jacket shortened a bit if you can stomach it; it looks a bit disproportionate on your frame.

Stiva

Reaction score
I agree that burgundy shoes would be wrong. Chestnut or tan, including in spectators if you're somewhere more casual.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's from the angle of the photo.  The length is actually pretty much spot on.

Just a suggestion from seeing this and previous fit photos you've posted-- keep the camera level.

When the camera is tilted down, especially with wide angle lenses, the perspective makes your legs look short. Looking at the refrigerator makes this effect of perspective more obvious.

Level the camera and if possible, move it farther away and use a longer focal length lens to minimize distortion.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion from seeing this and previous fit photos you've posted-- keep the camera level.

When the camera is tilted down, especially with wide angle lenses, the perspective makes your legs look short. Looking at the refrigerator makes this effect of perspective more obvious.

Level the camera and if possible, move it farther away and use a longer focal length lens to minimize distortion.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads