• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colour Deck/Boat shoes are most versatile? e.g. you can wear with every style

adamt

Reaction score
Im looking to buy my first pair of deck/boat shoes, but im not sure which colour of deck/boat shoes is most versatile?
I want these shoes for weekend and evening wear , like to the shops, round a friends, cinema, restaurants

will be wearing with creme brown/black chinos, denim/black jeans, creme/gray cargos
with a sweater and/or casual shirt, sometimes just a polo t-shirt

thank yoy

adamt

Reaction score
thanks for the reply,
why are boat shoes not suitable for evening wear? it would just be for restaurants, round a friends, cinema, etc nothing formal

im now turn between brown and navy:

Of these 2 which do others feel is the more versatile?
all opinions appreciated

Last edited:

adamt

Reaction score
Bump?

Which is more versatile, the navy boat shoes or brown ones, in the pics?

atila

Reaction score
I wear Sperry's all the time, I have for years. I own the navy, dark brown, and light brown... the dark brown are BY FAR the most versatile.

The navy ones are my favorite but also the least versatile.

adamt

Reaction score
Thanks,

Are there any specific colour clothes that dont go well with the dark brown boat shoes?
same question for the navy boat shoes

why are boat shoes not casual evening wear?

Last edited:

atila

Reaction score
boat shoes are great for casual evening wear! i think perhaps the OP who told you not to wear them at night thought you meant for formal events, implied when you said for "evening wear" but perhaps skipped your description of uses.

comfortable, stylish, and very appropriate in the evening. in fact, i went out to a couple lounges last night in old town claremont last night wearing my light brown sperries.

the dark brown can literally go with everything, i can't think of an color combo it wouldn't work except perhaps faded black jeans or brown pants.

adamt

Reaction score
when you say brown pants, would that include light brown cargos like these:

http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/070768

If it does. there aren't many other neutral calm colours i could wear besides blacks and browns
which limits my options with dark brown boat shoes

i dont wear the bright loud colour bottoms, like the reds/bright blues /yellows

thank you for the information

atila

Reaction score
Those are fine... if you noticed, the model is wearing brown shoes with them. I wear a lot of cotton navy and black pants and black jeans and brown sperries look great with all of them.

atila

Reaction score
Not a fan of the white stitching or sole... also makes it less appealing for evening wear, look for a shoe that has a dark sole, these are the dark brown Sperry's I wear often:
4932160360195412.jpg

atila

Reaction score
I wear both navy and the dark brown above with BB black milano pants and with black (unfaded) jeans and both shoes look fantastic with black.

adamt

Reaction score
Okay,
If some dont advise to wear dark brown boat shoes with black jeans/cargos,
what colour shoes can i wear with black bottoms?

again, only for casual wear

Atila, i completely agree that the white sole is not that good a look, i do definitely prefer the dark / matching soles,

but i cant seem to find any here in the UK that have dark soles

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color is your boat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads