• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shetlands you guys have posted look beautiful. Still, I need to get my cashmere fix.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The shetlands you guys have posted look beautiful. Still, I need to get my cashmere fix.

Where do you plan to source the cashmere sweaters from? Have you identified the sources yet?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I hope you are not as underwhelmed with cashmere as I was. Granted, I din't get the primo stuff, but still.

May I ask what your budget is? PM me if you don't want it out in public.

Well, I already have decent cashmere, and can imagine how it could be better based on my experience and what others describe. Mainly, I want smething that is soft and smooth, but avoids pilling and stretching.

I'd like to stay under $300 a sweater.

Originally Posted by forex
Where do you plan to source the cashmere sweaters from? Have you identified the sources yet?

I'm calling up stores and makers in the UK. Lockie and Johnstons look promising.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I already have decent cashmere, and can imagine how it could be better based on my experience and what others describe. Mainly, I want smething that is soft and smooth, but avoids pilling and stretching.

You have to look very hard ... preferably NOS. I'll wait and watch what you get.But for now, I am totally off cashmere.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
You have to look very hard ... preferably NOS. I'll wait and watch what you get.But for now, I am totally off cashmere.

Did you say what you thought of Lockie, Johnstons, and the like?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no direct experience with either brand. However, I have heard from multiple sources that W. Lockie is very good. From pictures I have seen, they have gorgeous, vibrant colors. 'Poppy' or somesuch is a superb shade of red. Look around and see if you can find good pics ...

Lockie is too expensive for me though ...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm calling up stores and makers in the UK. Lockie and Johnstons look promising.

I imagine $300 a sweater will be tough,given your specs.
Can anyone comment on BBBF cashmere sweaters? Is there pilling? How is it compared to regular non BF cashmere sweaters?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I imagine $300 a sweater will be tough,given your specs.

Nah, you can get the standard 2-ply v-necks from the reputable Scottish makers for about 150 pounds (~$250).

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score

RJman and I have recent experience with Johnston's, and it's not good. In fact they and Ballantyne are the two Scottish companies I've been most disappointed with recently. The sweaters I've seen have been much thinner, cheaper looking and knit with a slightly higher gauge (smaller knit) than traditional Scottish cashmere.

To be fair I haven't had any shedding problems with these Johnston's or Ballantynes. I don't whether RJ has.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
RJman and I have recent experience with Johnston's, and it's not good. In fact they and Ballantyne are the two Scottish companies I've been most disappointed with recently. The sweaters I've seen have been much thinner, cheaper looking and knit with a slightly higher gauge (smaller knit) than traditional Scottish cashmere.

To be fair I haven't had any shedding problems with these Johnston's or Ballantynes. I don't whether RJ has.

Good to know. I'm not sure what to make of Johnstons. That they are vertically integrated sounds appealing, but the ultimate product is what counts and I can imagine how other yarn producers in Scotland might be better, even though not integrated with knitters. Nobody here seems to have a particularly high opinion of Johnstons' actual sweaters.

From my casual research, it appears that American retailers tend to favor Johnstons quite regularly while UK-based retailers tend to prefer others (Lockie has come up a lot).

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dark purple V-neck cashmere from Martin & Osa that's the ****. IMO purple is a very underrated color, and very flattering, kinda like black but more interesting. I don't know why everyone loves pure cashmere though, I prefer blends. Dark red isa also a good choice. As long as you don't buy some lame pastels of yellow, blue or green it'll look cool.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
From my casual research, it appears that American retailers tend to favor Johnstons quite regularly while UK-based retailers tend to prefer others (Lockie has come up a lot).

I keep hoping that somewhere, in one of these too-numerous and too-similar discussions, someone who knows what traditional Scottish cashmere is supposed to look like and has recent buying experience with labeled products from Lockie, Murray Allen (if they're still around), N. Peal, even old standards like Pringle etc will chime in and let us know. Until then, all we have to work on are conflicting marketing claims (e.g. Johnston's is claiming they're the only Scottish company who's still processing from raw fiber, which apparently isn't true) and companies telling us half the story about what yarns they're using.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
I keep hoping that somewhere, in one of these too-numerous and too-similar discussions, someone who knows what traditional Scottish cashmere is supposed to look like and has recent buying experience with labeled products from Lockie, Murray Allen (if they're still around), N. Peal, even old standards like Pringle etc will chime in and let us know. Until then, all we have to work on are conflicting marketing claims (e.g. Johnston's is claiming they're the only Scottish company who's still processing from raw fiber, which apparently isn't true) and companies telling us half the story about what yarns they're using.

Well, RJman has experience with the older Scottish stuff and favors some current makes over others. I spoke to people at Lockie on the phone: while they do not claim to process raw fiber, they claim that all of their cashmere is processed in Scotland. True? I don't know, but at least it doesn't sound like a whale of a lie.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
20 years ago Pringle was supposed to be the best. I never see them around any more. I assume they are just done.

Used to have a nice little store in the Burlington Arcade. In 1990, my mother bought a plain sweater there that was marked down from GBP 600.
wow.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads