• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

emptym

Reaction score
The sweater I've had the longest (late 80's, high school) is a camel colored, lambswool, deep v-neck.
The second is a heathered, light grey cashmere, deep v-neck. (I wore that like crazy in college, as did a girlfriend. Fortunately, I took that with me when she got the Rhodes and dumped me, hard. It's still in great shape. My heart, not so much.)

I highly recommend those two to start. I still have them and wear them at times, but my favorite sweaters now are a merino full zip in dark charcoal, a merino three button polo in burgundy w/ black flecks, a rustic shawl collared cardigan in medium blue, and a cashmere crew in light, heathered gray.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
There are no plans for a OneSweater.

Ah the magic words have been spoken. And so, I shall participate.

Are you 100% set on cashemere? I have two shetland sweaters from McGeorge - gorgeous mix of colors in both. They are very versatile as well.

(click for bigger pics)

The first one is 'Baroque' - it has flecks of yellow and blue and red all over, looks awesome with most trousers I wear. Grey and navy go especially well with this sweater.

This perfect for all other trousers and jeans - a very dark purple with red, green and other colors.

See this page for more colors: http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...l_sweaters.php

I'd wear shetlands over cashmere anyday.

edit: Just noticed that Vox posted this already. D'oh!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I can still get these colors today:

yG9dK.jpg
BbNFe.jpg
WOtic.jpg
wrGNr.jpg
DcIYZ.jpg
uYfaJ.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up in preppyland outside of NYC, we all wore heather colored lambswool sweaters. The heather adds so much more interest to casual sweaters than solids IMO. But it is hard to find nice heathers these days.

Someone mentioned that so much recent cashmere is of lesser quality. I have to agree. It seems to have become thinner and certainly not as soft (perhaps the length of the fibers). Even a Borrelli cashmere sweater from 2000 is far superior to any Cucinelli or Neiman Marcus house brand. It has more loft and stretch. I have a Nordstrom brand sweater made in Scotland from the late 80's that is better than 99% of the cashmere on the market today including the designer brands.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cashmere is very overpriced for what we get today. The shetlands I posted above were around $120 when I got them ... and they are just as warm.

I have 1 cashmere sweater from RLPL that I bought 2 years back and its piled heavily even with great care. Never buying cashmere again.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
I can't look at one of these sweaters without thinking of carpet padding, or the fiber mats used to cover coil springs in mattresses. Just never understood the attraction.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
ouch, that's a shame. but you're basing this decision on one single sweater from a few years ago?

No I have had 2-3 and I just like shetlands better, in looks, comfort and price. Tou can still buy some of those shetlands at O'connells for $125. Cashmere at that price is pretty low quality from what I understand.

That RLPL piled the most of all the cashmere sweaters I have had, but then I got it on sale. I still wear it.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
I can't look at one of these sweaters without thinking of carpet padding, or the fiber mats used to cover coil springs in mattresses. Just never understood the attraction.

It is definitely an acquired taste. I like the multicolored ones because I can wear them a variety of outfits with ease. Solid colored cashmeres, esp in bright shades or ligher shades are hard to coordinate. Plus I like the earthy, non-luxurious look of the heatherd shetlands - cashmere is too luxe for me - purely personal taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads