• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Patek14

Reaction score
My colors for sweaters (4 are cashmere, 1 is lambswool, 1 is shetland style blended merino and angora rabbit)

-Dark navy
-Maroon/Wine
-Charcoal
-Greenish-grey
-Cream
-Camel

I'd probably go for dark red/maroon first because it is very versatile and goes with many different colors of pants.

I'm not a fan of lambswool because it does feel very scratchy. Cashmere all the way!

Tarzan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Navy blue William Lockie v-neck.

Did you order from here http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_ca...php?prod_ID=15 ?

When you get it could you give some info on the measurements? It seems from the site that the size they list is the true measurement and not the chest the garment would fit. If my chest is 40' which size should I order? Thanks

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I want to work this into my style.
What are some mass market labels that offer a decent entry-level value for a basic non-cashmere sweater? (cotton? JCrew? etc)
Lots of votes for the navy sweater. I'd also like to get a light grey sweater, but $300 is more than I'd like to spend to try out a look.

Tarzan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
What are some mass market labels that offer a decent value for a basic non-cashmere sweater?
Good thread. I want to work this into my style. Lots of votes for the navy sweater. I'd also like to get a light grey sweater, but $300 is more than I'd like to spend to try out a look.

Light grey is a good idea. I bought a John Smedley sea island cotton one in silver ( I call it light grey ) and is very versatile.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Is it worth the commentary it gets?

Well, I've only worn it twice so I don't have much to judge on yet, but I have two initial observations: (1) it is knit tighter than my made in Scotland Brooks Brothers sweaters, and (2) even though it is two ply, it feels as heavy and thick as the Brooks sweaters, which are three ply.

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Did you order from here http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_ca...php?prod_ID=15 ?

Nope, they could not ship in time. But I imagine they are a good place to buy from, being William Lockie's own shop under a different name.

Originally Posted by Tarzan
When you get it could you give some info on the measurements? It seems from the site that the size they list is the true measurement and not the chest the garment would fit. If my chest is 40' which size should I order? Thanks

I will take exact measurements later, but you are correct that the number reflects the sweater's dimensions, not the chest size it is intended to fit. The size 42 fits slimmer than my small Brooks Brothers sweaters. The chest measures 21 inches across, and it is about 26 inches long.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I've only worn it twice so I don't have much to judge on yet, but I have two initial observations: (1) it is knit tighter than my made in Scotland Brooks Brothers sweaters, and (2) even though it is two ply, it feels as heavy and thick as the Brooks sweaters, which are three ply.

I will take exact measurements later, but you are correct that the number reflects the sweater's dimensions, not the chest size it is intended to fit. The size 42 fits slimmer than my small Brooks Brothers sweaters. The chest measures 21 inches across, and it is about 26 inches long.

Thank you for being the forum guinea pig for these. I will be interested in the exact measurements/a fit pic as & when you have the time. If the smallest size fits quite slim, I might be able to get away with it myself too.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Thank you for being the forum guinea pig for these. I will be interested in the exact measurements/a fit pic as & when you have the time. If the smallest size fits quite slim, I might be able to get away with it myself too.

I haven't received my 7 sweaters yet as by the time my order was processed at Hume the Lockie factory had closed for the holidays.

I also ordered the size 42 which, as a point of reference, measures to the exact same dimensions as Cucinelli size 48 v-necks which are a perfect fit for me.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I haven't received my 7 sweaters yet as by the time my order was processed at Hume the Lockie factory had closed for the holidays.

I also ordered the size 42 which, as a point of reference, measures to the exact same dimensions as Cucinelli size 48 v-necks which are a perfect fit for me.

I'm glad that you exist.

You make me seem so reasonable.

Happy New Year, my friend.

- B

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm glad that you exist.

You make me seem so reasonable.

Happy New Year, my friend.

- B

You so get me.

Sorry I did not get to see you on your recent visit to Gotham.

Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pay much higher to find a sweater that fits perfectly when it comes to sleeve length - am I the only one?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Sorry I did not get to see you on your recent visit to Gotham.

That's my fault...it was a rare business-unencumbered visit, but our days and nights were programmed like the Swiss railway.

The only unscheduled thing was a pedicab ride in black tie from the Morgan museam to Columbus Circle at the height of the Saturday night blizzard. Fantastic, really.

- B

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That's my fault...it was a rare business-unencumbered visit, but our days and nights were programmed like the Swiss railway. The only unscheduled thing was a pedicab ride in black tie from the Morgan museam to Columbus Circle at the height of the Saturday night blizzard. Fantastic, really. - B
Next time, for certain. I find it amazing how snow in NYC is the most beautiful thing on earth until it soon becomes the ugliest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads