• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What color vest for midnight blue tuxedo?

JinxyJ08

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
OK so i am torn between vest colors for this Tuxedo. I am going to a wedding and got a really cool midnight blue tuxedo that is so dark blue it almost even looks charcoal sometimes in the right light. The midnight blue is beautiful but i'm stumped on what vest to go with. Obviously this color makes it rather hard to match a blue to, do i just go with the black vest/black tie or should i be opting for the 'bun? Also, honestly not the most up on formal gear, are suspenders going to be needed and how are these masked out of sight?
 

Lightbringer

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
459
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08
OK so i am torn between vest colors for this Tuxedo. I am going to a wedding and got a really cool midnight blue tuxedo that is so dark blue it almost even looks charcoal sometimes in the right light. The midnight blue is beautiful but i'm stumped on what vest to go with. Obviously this color makes it rather hard to match a blue to, do i just go with the black vest/black tie or should i be opting for the 'bun? Also, honestly not the most up on formal gear, are suspenders going to be needed and how are these masked out of sight?

cummerband, no vest.
 

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
2,904
Reaction score
367
And you will never take your dinner jacket off, so the braces will not be seen untill you undress.
 

landshark

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
53
Get a black cumberbund and white braces.
 

JinxyJ08

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I will be removing my jacket possibly though since it will be a wedding on new years eve. it seems the vest is not such a good idea?
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08
I will be removing my jacket possibly though since it will be a wedding on new years eve. it seems the vest is not such a good idea?
First, I'm assuming it's single-breasted not double-breasted. If the latter, you need neither a waistcoat nor a cummerband. If it is single-breasted, if it's midnight-blue, I feel that if you're going to wear a waistcoat, it should be of the same fabric as the rest of the suit or it will look slightly odd. If it's not possible to get a midnight navy waistcoat in the same fabric as the rest of it, wear a black cummerband with the black bow tie, as it's fine for those accessories to be black. Assuming you're also wearing braces, those can either be black or white. I prefer wearing a waistcoat to a cummerband generally (I find it more comfortable) but if you don't have one the right colour, then I'd find it "less worse" to use the cummerband than a mismatched waistcoat. Hope that makes some sort of sense. Of course, this all assumes you want to follow the dress code as closely as possible. If it's the type of occasion where you can - and want - to play around with the code a little, your options are different.
 

Matt S

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
923
Reaction score
15
Are the facings on the dinner jacket black or blue? If a facings are black then get a black low-cut waistcoat. Your bow-tie will be black anyway, so I think a black waistcoat is the best option. With a white waistcoat you need a wing collar shirt, which really limits you.
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
Originally Posted by Matt S
Are the facings on the dinner jacket black or blue? If a facings are black then get a black low-cut waistcoat. Your bow-tie will be black anyway, so I think a black waistcoat is the best option.

I suspect they will be black facings, as that would be most common/usual even for a midnight-navy tux. But while that certainly makes black accessories fine/correct (eg. bow-tie, cummerband, braces), I would still quibble a little about using a black waiscoat with it. A waistcoat is more than just an accessory; it's part of the suit. It would still feel "off" to me if it's colour didn't match the jacket and trousers.

Of course, it's not the end of the world by any means, but personally, I would prefer to work around it.
 

JinxyJ08

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I suspect they will be black facings, as that would be most common/usual even for a midnight-navy tux. But while that certainly makes black accessories fine/correct (eg. bow-tie, cummerband, braces), I would still quibble a little about using a black waiscoat with it. A waistcoat is more than just an accessory; it's part of the suit. It would still feel "off" to me if it's colour didn't match the jacket and trousers.

Of course, it's not the end of the world by any means, but personally, I would prefer to work around it.


I appreciate everyones help! You guys are awesome
 

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2010
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
87
Figured this was the best place for this: those who saw my other thread yesterday know that I've finally bought a proper tux (SB PL Zegna mainline in black, satin facings). I now want to get more serious about accessories since I have a "real" tux.

First, the waistcoat vs. cummerbund debate. While I'd rather the cummerbund since it's one less layer, here's my dilemma: I have long legs and a short torso. Black trousers with a black cummerbund will, in my opinion, make my torso look even shorter, disproportionately so. Any thoughts on this? Am I being silly? And, are there any colors acceptable other than black? Perhaps a glen plaid? Or dark paisley (think I've seen this before)? The tie will be black.

Or, if I go with a waistcoat, are there colors other than black or white that I can use? Perhaps grey of some kind? Also, does it matter if the waistcoat has a lapel or not? And, if it should have one, would shawl lapel be correct?
 

BDR

New Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08
OK so i am torn between vest colors for this Tuxedo. I am going to a wedding and got a really cool midnight blue tuxedo that is so dark blue it almost even looks charcoal sometimes in the right light. The midnight blue is beautiful but i'm stumped on what vest to go with. Obviously this color makes it rather hard to match a blue to, do i just go with the black vest/black tie or should i be opting for the 'bun? Also, honestly not the most up on formal gear, are suspenders going to be needed and how are these masked out of sight?

Where did you get a midnight blue tuxedo? I'm set on finding one but can't find one in my size (44 or 46L with 36 trousers).
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 72 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 135 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 69 17.0%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 31 7.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 22 5.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 24 5.9%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
427,481
Messages
9,199,174
Members
193,205
Latest member
ronqol

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top