1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What color tie with a green dress shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrgoblueguy, Nov 21, 2004.

1. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior Member

What color tie can be worn with a medium green dress shirt? The only color I can think of woul dbe black, maybe a nice black patterned tie. Any other colors or prints you guys can think of? Thanks for the help..

2. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

Green dress shirt - are you sure about this ? This does not make sense to me and tather reminds me of my definition of an oxymoron, from Douglas Adams: [​IMG] It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport" (The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul,p.1) If you really know what you are doing, you could wear something with yellow, perhaps brown/tan or try to match your coat and let the shirt become a backdrop. Bjorn

3. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

Just pick a tie that has some green in it. It doesn't have to be the exact shade either.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I would think pink would work.

5. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

A green shirt can NOT be a dress shirt

6. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

That's right. Only farmers wear green shirts.

Seriously, depending on the shade of green, Alan's suggestion of pink can work, as can orange, blue, and other colors. The suggestion to look for ties that have green as a secondary color is a good one.

7. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior Member

Not to be considered too gauche for supporting the folks at Charles Tyrwhitt, but in one of their recent catalogues they had what I considered to be a quite attractive combination of a Prince of Wales patterned green shirt paired with a vivid purple tie and purple/brown/green links. Not my taste, but attactive in its way.

8. ernest

(ernest @ 21 Nov. 2004, 6:45) A green shirt can NOT be a dress shirt
    That's right. Only farmers wear green shirts. Seriously, depending on the shade of green, Alan's suggestion of pink can work, as can orange, blue, and other colors. The suggestion to look for ties that have green as a secondary color is a good one.
    Dress shirts can only be white or blue. Some pink or purple could be up to a point a dress shirt but never a green one.

9. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Oh, ernest. So confident and yet so clueless.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Are you kidding me? I think green dress shirts look just fine. You have very narrow tastes, my friend.

11. ernest

Fine but no dress.

Do you imagine a politician in a debat with a green shirt?

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

of course not, but who here is a politician? Furthermore, who here even wants to look like a politician? I hope no one.. [​IMG]

13. ernest

Not? Why? I posted a poll about dress shirt. Will see what the others think...

14. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

I've got a nice gold herringbone 7-fold from Carlo Franco that I think would look great with a green shirt: [​IMG] Probably depends on the suit, too - for those with a cream suit (not me, not yet, but soon.) this looks like a great combination. [​IMG]

15. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior Member

it's a green Polo dress shirt I bought for 12 dollars at work and i want to be a politician one day, so I don't mind looking like one. I have a purple tie that i think will look good with it.