• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color sweater?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to split off a quick question from the "Buying a cashmere sweater" thread. The background is that I'm a fair-skinned guy of Chinese descent and expect to be in the East Coast for one winter, thus am looking for at least one good sweater.

So: If you were to have only one good sweater for fall and winter, what color would it be?

I figure dark blue and gray are the safest, most flexible choices, but what else is possible given my complexion? How about lavender and purple, or are those a bit tough to match?

It's probably not rocket science, but I've never owned nor needed a sweater, and saw the J.Crew sale posts about dark green, persimmon and hot pink sweaters, so wanted opinions about what people wear.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, this time I am going to be helpful...

In Boston, I would seriously look at shetland over cashmere. Boston just says shetland to me and the prices are much, much lower. It is a classic American style. I would go for either a blue, grey, green or brown. The colors are always a melange with this style. They are all great and will look good under a coat. Very university, very Boston.

If you stick with cashmere, I would go grey or blue. The other colors are fine once you have the basics, but I would be pretty bummed if they were all I had in my closet.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey jose-

what about a letterman's sweater? I thought I read some place here that you'll go to university there- so why not "be true to your school"
teacha.gif

-Danny Wilson

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Light grey and light khaki/beige are the most versatile colors for sweaters in that they can easily be worn with a blazer, etc. and do not require much effort in finding complementary colors. I think that one grey and one khaki cashmere v-neck is a must for any man's wardrobe....

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Dont get purple or you might look like a Teletubby/Boobah character.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are only getting one sweater go with a basic and safe color. My vote is for gray. With your complexion purple, orange, red will also be good colors but not a safe choice. Don't waste money on articles of clothing that will only be useful while you are in the States. Save the money for future EG purchases
tounge.gif

This piece of advice applies to all your other questions regarding clothing for your stay while studying here. It's a good idea to just blend in with the crowd, and from where you are you will not have a clue what your classmates will be wearing. Wait until you get here before making any major purchases.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
In Boston, I would seriously look at shetland over cashmere. Boston just says shetland to me and the prices are much, much lower. It is a classic American style. I would go for either a blue, grey, green or brown. The colors are always a melange with this style. They are all great and will look good under a coat. Very university, very Boston.
Interesting. What exactly is the difference between shetland wool and cashmere? I thought these are just fabrics, not types of sweaters per se?

About the purple, I had lavender or lighter purples in mind, not the kind of purple in the red and orange palette (both of which don't quite look good on me). I'm on the very fair spectrum of Orientals, not the darker Malay kind of guy, though still with a bit of brown that makes me shy away from brown shades the way you guys would not wear flesh colors.

Teletubbies... anyone remember Grimace?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Interesting. What exactly is the difference between shetland wool and cashmere? I thought these are just fabrics, not types of sweaters per se?

About the purple, I had lavender or lighter purples in mind, not the kind of purple in the red and orange palette (both of which don't quite look good on me). I'm on the very fair spectrum of Orientals, not the darker Malay kind of guy, though still with a bit of brown that makes me shy away from brown shades the way you guys would not wear flesh colors.

Teletubbies... anyone remember Grimace?

Shetland sweaters are lambswool they look like this:
page9_sweaters.jpg

They are not as luxe as cashmere, but have their own charm. Good ones are around $100.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Shetland sweaters are lambswool they look like this:
page9_sweaters.jpg

They are not as luxe as cashmere, but have their own charm. Good ones are around $100.

I second lambswool, though I'm personally not a huge fan of Shetland wool - the look is not really my thing. A good lambswool sweater, once washed in Woolite, seems to me to be functionally "about as soft" as a cashmere sweater (to the point that I don't really care, anyway) and much, much more durable. IME, etc.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I'm on the very fair spectrum of Orientals, not the darker Malay kind of guy, though still with a bit of brown that makes me shy away from brown shades the way you guys would not wear flesh colors.
Not to bring up any heavy issues, but please do not refer to Asian people as "Oriental," especially if you consider yourself Asian. Not only is it inappropriate or not PC, it allows others to think that it is acceptable. Rugs and vases are oriental, people are not. On to the sweater question - do people tend to find anything but fine merino wool and cashmere itchy? Lambswool, shetland sweaters look like it could make you itch, even through a shirt, especially your neck if you're not wearing a collar underneath.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Not to bring up any heavy issues, but please do not refer to Asian people as "Oriental," especially if you consider yourself Asian. Not only is it inappropriate or not PC, it allows others to think that it is acceptable. Rugs and vases are oriental, people are not. On to the sweater question - do people tend to find anything but fine merino wool and cashmere itchy? Lambswool, shetland sweaters look like it could make you itch, even through a shirt, especially your neck if you're not wearing a collar underneath.
I find good lambswool, once washed, less itchy than cashmere that costs 2x the price retail. Much of the cheap cashmere is made with fibers that although technically cashmere, have no place being in a sweater.

Good cashmere is definitely softer than either, though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
please do not refer to Asian people as "Oriental," especially if you consider yourself Asian. Not only is it inappropriate or not PC, it allows others to think that it is acceptable. Rugs and vases are oriental, people are not.

oh c'mon now. That "rugs/vases" line has been so overused over the years to prove some point that doesnt need proving. Since you brought it up, why is it such a concern of yours? Are you Asian/Oriental? If so, why does it bother you so much...aside from the PC "oriental should only be used to describe objects not people" brainwashing. If not, us orientals don't need any roundeyes to "defend our humanity". I don't care if someone calls me oriental. Most yellows I know who didnt grow up in a PC liberal college environment use the term freely and often to refer to their kin.

...and just to go back to JPs original question, I'm a +1 on a grey sweater for your first one.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Any recommendations for brands for those shetland sweaters?

I like the melange colors and they have a nice winter look to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads