• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color sperry's?

flyar

Reaction score
I know some of you guys grew out of sperry's and boat shoes or don't like them but please bear with me here. I am deciding on the sahara color and classic brown authentic originals. It seems like the sahara look better when you are just comparing the shoe but it seems like a lot more people enjoy the classic brown. Here is the link, you have to select the different color. Thanks guys.

http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sider-authentic-original

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Sahara, but the real question is which do you prefer?

flyar

Reaction score
I enjoy both. I like the Sahara more when just comparing them two but it seems like when you pair them with clothes the classic brown looks better.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the Sahara. I was never a big fan of the dark brown / white sole combination.

But as mentioned before, these will be your shoes, so go with what you like.

Chris

TiesNecktie

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I enjoy both. I like the Sahara more when just comparing them two but it seems like when you pair them with clothes the classic brown looks better.

I agree! Not a big fan of the Sahara color. I actually have four different pairs of Sperrys. My favorite ones are three colored: white, lime green, and red that I got earlier this year. The laces look like thin climbing rope in white and red. Although these are my favorite, they are not the ones I wear most often. The original brown ones are most versatile for me.

facet

Reaction score
I've only seen the classic brown in the wild. But based on what I've seen, I'd go with those; they looked pretty good.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sahara.

Last edited:

flyar

Reaction score
I agree! Not a big fan of the Sahara color. I actually have four different pairs of Sperrys. My favorite ones are three colored: white, lime green, and red that I got earlier this year. The laces look like thin climbing rope in white and red. Although these are my favorite, they are not the ones I wear most often. The original brown ones are most versatile for me.
Im mainly concerned about wearing them with shorts. Do they look good with shorts? And do the white soles get dirty quickly?
Do you own the sahara?

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but they look the best and are probably the most versatile

TiesNecktie

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Im mainly concerned about wearing them with shorts. Do they look good with shorts? And do the white soles get dirty quickly?
Well, I like to wear more color with shorts as they are more casual. If the three colored Sperrys are not your style, then I like the navy & white. The soles are made from rubber and don't stain too easily. They do turn a bit yellowish after a while though - but I think the worn look does look nice.

Cheers,

H

atila

Reaction score
I think the classic brown is less versatile - especially with the white soles - less "appropriate" when wearing at night.

If you want a more versatile go with the Brown/Buc Brown - the shoe is mostly a brown suede with the dark brown being leather. I have this shoe and it is truly the most versatile Sperry there is. The dark sole allows you to wear it at night or day.

I actually like the Sahara too, but that's because it is more similar to the Brown/Buc Brown that I have. I find that shoe to be more versatile than the "classic brown" shoe you are considering.

The "amaretto" is quite nice too...

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sebago makes a much better shoe, especially their Schooner model. It only comes in one color, a pleasing golden brown with dark brown sole.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im mainly concerned about wearing them with shorts. Do they look good with shorts?

I think Sperrys are fine with shorts, that's what I do.

Could be wearing shorts on a boat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads