• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color socks with taupe-ish slacks?

lvrpl

Reaction score
Any advice would be very helpful - I can't seem to figure out what would look good and what would look stupid. I've got the taupe pants picture below that I can pair with either some walnut or bourbon colored AE shoes. Would any of the socks in the picture work? Do I need something completely different? Thanks for any thoughts.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those socks in the middle are horrible. In the picture, those trousers look grey.

I would go for something like:

Suit Vicious

Reaction score
Would go for olive green or grey. If the pants colour is lighter then it appears on the pic try a very muted light blue. Navy works fine combined with the darker shoes.
These pants are more khaki but the grey linen socks should work with the taupe even better.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burn the pair in the centre, the other two fine. Few will notice, fewer will think about any ideas of your socks matching anything including the carpet.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair on the right could work, the one on the left are too light, the one in the middle...well

IF you wanna play it save then look for something grey-brownish...else I like Suit Vicious suggestion. Burgundy could also work.

Marsay

Reaction score
A famous footballer has a story about his first match playing for an Italian team: he put on his kit and left his designer suit and a pair of white, multipack-type socks in the dressing room. When he came back from the pitch, one of the Italian players had carefully cut the socks into even-sized ribbons roughly the width of tagliatelle.

Last edited:

Suit Vicious

Reaction score

Any advice would be very helpful - I can't seem to figure out what would look good and what would look stupid. I've got the taupe pants picture below that I can pair with either some walnut or bourbon colored AE shoes. Would any of the socks in the picture work? Do I need something completely different? Thanks for any thoughts.

The last days I made some pics of what I would combine with my shoes and a Jacob Cohen light khaki and a vintage cloth with darker shade of taupe.

The olive green Brescianis are most versatile in my eyes. They look good with light and darker trowsers.

Navy suits everything.

As Ich_Dien says. The contrast with those navy Falke is a hint to hard for my taste. Lighter shade of navy would do the job even better.

The grey linen Bresciani socks are my favourites - as mostly :)

I was surprised how well the blue with red shadow striped Brescianis harmonise with the darker cloth. Little demanding but worthwhile.

The chestnut shoes are much harder to combine but I really like the muted light blue of the linen socks for them. They build the bridge from the saturated chestnut to the muted taupe best. The olive green socks are a joker ones again, better in RL then on the pic.

Last edited:

lvrpl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, very helpful for a newbie like me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads