• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What color socks with Purple (Mulberry) shoes

fylestorum

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for advice on what solid color socks to wear with purple shoes. Any thoughts on good matches? Thanks in advance.

Cubits

Reaction score
What else are you wearing with purple shoes? I can't comprehend that, nevermind the socks.

Also, i can't recall ever seeing purple dress shoes, do you have a picture?

I think the reason noone has answered you is because this lies outside of the realm of classic menswear.

Cubits

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that makes much more sense now!

The colour palette you suggest is what i'd go with (shades of brown/lavender/blue). I'd go with a pale/pastel lavender over a pink or purple as it complements the cooler tones of the shoes and the jacket, and in wool (because wool socks are awesome).

When it comes to sock patterns i tend to run fairly "boring", so i'd go with a solid or possibly an argyle. Plenty of folk around here go balls-out with statement patterns though. :p

fylestorum

Reaction score
Im with you on the solids. So you think a lighter shade lavender sock (lighter than the shoe color) would be the way to go? A navy sock wouldn't work here either?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Match the pants, or simple grey.

EDIT: I just looked at the shoes in question. I'd definitely go sockless with those. And by the way, I'm damn jealous. :(

Last edited:

Cubits

Reaction score
Well in conservative land i would match the pants, that's the safe choice and i use it a lot, with dress shoes.

BUT, these shoes are the kind plenty of people would wear without socks. However, since i never wear shoes without socks, this is the time to show a bit of "foot", which is why i'd go with a lighter sock which pulls cues from the rest of the outfit. I feel if you went dark sock/dark shoe you'd lose definition.

Alex Dumortier

Reaction score
If the pictures are accurate, that looks more like a navy blue than a purple to me.

mhdena

Reaction score
I liked them better blue, with kackis or jeans. No socks

fylestorum

Reaction score
That's safer, but less interesting. They offer them in navy with the regular silver horsebit. These have a darker and shinier buckle.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 107 34.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 92 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%