What color shoes with brown cords?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Sep 8, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I have a really nice pair of brown cords that I just picked up and I can't figure out for the life of me what color shoes to wear them. The cords are basically a regular brown. To my eye, brown shoes look like they match the pants too much and black shoes look too formal. Any suggestions? Maybe I should think about investing in a pair of olive EGs [​IMG] . But seriously...?

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

cordovan? suede?
    To my eye, the close shades of brown could be ok, usually the contrast of the cloth against the gloss of leather provides a contrast of texture.

Looks like your gonna have to go bespoke[​IMG]

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

cordovan? suede?
    To my eye, the close shades of brown could be ok, usually the contrast of the cloth against the gloss of leather provides a contrast of texture.

Looks like your gonna have to go bespoke[​IMG]

I tried burgundy, but it didn't look right for some reason. The outfit is casual (brown cords, ribbon belt, light blue polo shirt) and the only burgundy I have is a pair of EG Monmouths, which looked too dresssed up.

4. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I like a pair of suede chelseas or chukkas

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I agree with a lighter brown suede shoe or boot. The suede texture will compliment the cordoroy texture nicely. Or find a more casual burgundy shoe...maybe some chunky-ish bluchers.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I have a really nice pair of brown cords that I just picked up and I can't figure out for the life of me what color shoes to wear them. The cords are basically a regular brown. To my eye, brown shoes look like they match the pants too much and black shoes look too formal. Any suggestions? Maybe I should think about investing in a pair of olive EGs [​IMG] . But seriously...?

brown suede would probably be my first choice, but i might also go with brown shell cordovan.

sometimes i wear a shade of brown that doesn't match - such as AE's chili with a regular brown cords. some days i like it, some days i don't.

7. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

I often wear my shell cordovan chukkas (RL McCallum) or my Clarks Desert Treks in oiled leather with brown cords.

8. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

9. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I agree with a lighter brown suede shoe or boot. The suede texture will compliment the cordoroy texture nicely. Or find a more casual burgundy shoe...maybe some chunky-ish bluchers.

Not to be Lance's pimp or anything, but...

http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...id=81083253317

10. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

i wear a pair of reddish brown Moreschi's with my brown slacks. it's not yet to the point of burgundy. less red. but that color in a boot would look great with a pair of brown cords.

-Jeff

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Not to be Lance's pimp or anything, but...

http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...id=81083253317

My only peeve about this boot is that the white welt stitching doesn't go around the heel.... it makes it look incomplete.

12. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Chestnut colored shoes (AE Chili...) will go splendidly with brown pants.

13. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

My only peeve about this boot is that the white welt stitching doesn't go around the heel.... it makes it look incomplete.

Good catch.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

odoreater - I happen to be wearing chocolate brown cords with chocolate brown suede loafers today. Pic's in the stickied thread if you want to assess whether the look's too matchy-matchy or not. I think it's a fine combo - not "wow" but it's OK. Then again, I chose to wear them together, so my opinion's not exactly subjective. [​IMG]

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

odoreater - I happen to be wearing chocolate brown cords with chocolate brown suede loafers today. Pic's in the stickied thread if you want to assess whether the look's too matchy-matchy or not. I think it's a fine combo - not "wow" but it's OK. Then again, I chose to wear them together, so my opinion's not exactly subjective. [​IMG]

Not too matchy-matchy after all. In fact, I decided on a pair of JL double monks in dark oak. I tried a couple different things, but I thought a darker brown than the pants looked better than a lighter brown. Pictures will follow when I get home tonight.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.