• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color shirts look best w/ a black suit for a company party - cocktail attire?

hahacoo

Reaction score
i have a company party coming up next week and the dress is cocktail attire, for men it says suit is required and tie optional.

i have a black suit, but i'm not sure what color dress shirt to wear. i like striped dress shirts a lot, but do those go with a plain all black suit? what are some colors that would fit well for solid or striped dressed shirts. i have brown eyes and black hair if that helps. i don't really like really bright colors either, so i'm not sure whats the best color to match my black suit. also, i don't plan on wearing a tie.

i'd really appreciate any suggestions (and if possible, perhaps links to pictures of shirts that would look good?)

thanks!

Dormouse

Reaction score
I would wear a white shirt with french cuffs and a pair of silver cufflinks.

hahacoo

Reaction score
yeah the party is in the evening. so no need for a tie if i wear a white shirt?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a cocktail party, with a black suit, I'd skip the tie otherwise you'll end up looking like you're going to a funeral.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Black... suit...
censored.gif
All my biases aside, I agree with the last post. I think a button down collar would be optimal.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe we are at a point where the black suit doesn't make the same visual impact it did a few years ago. I always liked a a black striped shirt with a black suit but you can wear just about anything with it now, In fact, the only shirts I wouldnt wear with a black suit are those I probably wouldnt wear with any suit, like a bright red stripe or a green solid shirt. It's become a very very dark grey suit in the public mind.

Oh, and I have some thoughts on the black suit, if youre interested:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...ck-suit-part-1

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't wear a white shirt unless it had cufflinks and some texture. Without a tie you won't look like you're going to a funeral, but you'll still be boring. I think a striped shirt would be excellent. Wearing a jacket covers so much of the shirt that you can wear quite loud stripes without it being AmJack. That being said, a black is such a stark contrast with everything, that perhaps less saturated colours are advisable?

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
For a cocktail party, with a black suit, I'd skip the tie otherwise you'll end up looking like you're going to a funeral.

Didn't Sinatra say that a gentleman should always wear black, or at the very least, navy blue in the evening?

...I'm more of a Dean Martin fan, but just thought I would bring that up.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Everyone made mistakes. I wouldn't wear my jacket all buttoned up just because Cary Grant did and Tomasso feels the need to show that picture whenever the subject comes up...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads