• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color shirt with grey herringbone jacket?

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
What color shirt goes well with a grey jacket?

Also, is there a rule of thumb for what color sweater goes with what shirt? (ie lighter shirt:dark sweater, striped shirt:solid sweater, etc.)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you learned the basics of colour-matching, then you would automatically know the answer to this as well as many other questions. Or you could just try on different colours and see which ones you like instead of getting other people to dress you. This sort of question just shows a complete lack of aesthetic sensibility. FWIW, the most obvious answers would be light blue or light pink, but there are countless possibilities, especially when you include combinations of shirt and sweater.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
This sort of question just shows a complete lack of aesthetic sensibility.
Let's say that's true, and let's also say he can't do anything about it. (Lots of men are color-blind to one degree or another.) That leaves two choices:

1. He comes here to get advice, and dresses consistently well as a result.
2. He dresses poorly at times.

I'd think that the first option is much more in the SF spirit than the second, but maybe I'm wrong.

MaxJones

Reaction score
I saw a nice Canali print ad the other day. This isn't the exact ad, but it shows the very basic idea of an elegant white shirt under a dark sweater or vest with a grey jacket. I think that I'll be favoring this classic look this season.
canali.jpg
I'm not really wild about the asymmetry of the vest or sweater that Yankee's relief pitcher Mariano Rivera is sporting in the pic above, but I think you'll get the idea. I'm probably a bit too caucasian (i.e. - pasty) to put this look to its best advantage.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great thing about a grey sportcoat, or a grey cardigan etc. is that it is a neutral color that goes with (almost) anything. Depending on your situation you can have a solid shirt or a subtle patterned shirt in nearly any color (except grey unless you want a monochromatic look).

Here are some suggestions though that I like...
As someone else said, light blue and light pink are great.
Navy blue
an ecru or cream color
purple (light or dark)
black
light green

I could go on and on.

Just experiment with some shirts you already have and see what contrasts best with your skin tone and eye color. If you are trying to make the shirt stand out, go for a bolder color. If you are trying to be conservative, go with a light color and a patterned tie to compliment the shirt and make the herringbone pattern on the jacket pop out in contrast.

Style is suppose to be about fun and experimentation. Always ask for advice, but never think there is only one or two right ways to do anything
smile.gif

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
(Lots of men are color-blind to one degree or another.)

here here! EASILY the hardest part of putting a fit together is finding matching/complimentary colors.

not easy to do when everything you see is white <-- gray --> black, brow, blue and yellow

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beside going with a similar color to the jacket it's self there isn't really a color that will not work well with it. white lt blue or a lt pink is probably your best route.

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
Ok I think I'll go pick up some light colored shirts.

Would button down collars would be more appropriate for this than spread collars?

Mark Burke

Reaction score
I like a burgundy shirt or burgundy sweater with maybe a white shirt with a grey blazer. Its more about what colours suit you rather than what is going to go with the blazer as grey will go with pretty much any colour.

mason

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's true though, you can practically wear anything with a grey herringbone jacket

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally go with either a light blue or a pink shirt with my grey herringbone odd jacket and think both look great. As for sweaters, when I do wear them I tend to go with darker sweaters and light colored dress shirts. Unless the pattern on your shirt is really busy or too similar to the pattern on your sweater, I think there's nothing wrong with wearing a patterned shirt underneath a patterned sweater. If you're unsure of how to match, however, you may want to pair patterned sweaters with solid or semi-solid dress shirts, especially since your herringbone jacket is technically a pattern too. The more patterns you have, the harder it is to make them all work together so just take that as a note of caution. If you're wearing your shirts in a more casual manner (e.g. without a tie), button down is more correct. With a tie, a spread collar would be okay too.

I really don't think you should wear dark "dress shirts" in any context; they just scream runway model and don't look good. Darker polos or sweaters are another thing entirely, but dress shirts really should be lighter in color.

Mark Burke

Reaction score
Well I have seen photos of Steve Mcqueen wearing a dark blue button down shirt under a quite light grey coloured blazer or sports jacket. I like to wear a sweater with a sports jacket really rather than just a shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads