• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What color shirt/tie suggestions

tman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post here at styleforum, but I've been reading for a while. I'm a 21 year old college student with a small budget and a newfound appetite for clothing. Ive slowly been building my wardrobe into something somewhat respectable, but its a long process.

Anyways, I have a formal to go to next month, and my date is wearing a coral dress. I plan on wearing a navy suit with subtle pinstripes, but I need to figure out the rest. I am having a hard time finding a decent coral tie for starters. I am also planning on wearing either a light blue or blue windowpane checked shirt, is this a good idea or should i just go with white? I only have black shoes at the moment, but am looking for a decent brown pair and would wear those if i get them in time.

I would like a narrower tie (3" or so) if possible, but it is hard to even find a normal sized coral tie that isnt junk. Suggestions?

Requiem

Reaction score
Don't choose your tie to match your date's dress... if she asks you to, say you've been looking through the fashion forums and blogs and people think that's tacky. Tell her she's the one to "shine" in coral and your role is just to provide visual support.
Read --» http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...ifference.html

White or light blue shirt is fine, although patterns may be difficult to match with a pin striped suit. A plain shirt is a safer bet.
For the tie, pick up a plain gray (any tone, from dark to silver), dark brown, or black with white polka dots (white shirt looks better with this one) and you both will look good.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.