• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color Saphir cream to use with different EG colors?

gusvs

Reaction score
I have normally only used conditioner and then wax polish for my shoes. However, reading a lot of threads here on shoe care, it seems that most poeple recommend a shoe cream to nourish the leather. So, I thought I should get some Saphir MdO creams for my shoes, but I am not sure about which colors to order for:
1) EG Dark Oak antique
2) EG Burnt Pine antique

Any advice appreciated.

//G

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I have used Saphir Dark Brown for EG Dark Oak. Saphir Dark Brown is very dark and antiques the dark oak color well. You may want to use medium brown Saphir if you want to use cream which is a lighter shade than the shoe.

I have not used Saphir for Burnt Pine because I am not sure whether to use Medium Brown or Light Brown.

This thread would be a good place to capture others experience in matching Saphir or other makes of shoe creams to various EG leather colors.

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poshak Man
This thread would be a good place to capture others experience in matching Saphir or other makes of shoe creams to various EG leather colors.

I agree, it would be very interesting to know what colors everyone have used and what the results were.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gusvs
I agree, it would be very interesting to know what colors everyone have used and what the results were.

+1

Without wishing to hijack this thread, could we also include, what Saphir Medaille D'Or colours to use across the John Lobb spectrum.
lurker[1].gif

Poshak Man

Reaction score
For my Lobbs 2006 in Treacle Lord Calf, I have used Meltonian Cream in Red Mahogany and Saphir Wax in Mahogany color. Works well.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gusvs
I have normally only used conditioner and then wax polish for my shoes. However, reading a lot of threads here on shoe care, it seems that most poeple recommend a shoe cream to nourish the leather. So, I thought I should get some Saphir MdO creams for my shoes, but I am not sure about which colors to order for:
1) EG Dark Oak antique
2) EG Burnt Pine antique

Any advice appreciated.

//G

Here is my advice:

Order both (or buy one or the other at a local retailer, what I prefer).

Take a white sheet of paper and use your finger putting the cream on the sheet. Then compare the color on the sheet to your shoes/ the result you like to achieve.

Yours
GN

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I can help.

For EG, I use/recommend:

Dark Oak = Dark Brown on the toe and heel.....mix of Dark Brown + Neutral on the vamp and quarters
Burgundy = Mahagoni with a little black used for the toes/heels
Burnt Pine = Middle Brown.....straight Black for highlights
---------you can also mix Dark Brown and Middle Brown for a darker effect
Edwardian = Light Brown with a little Middle Brown on the toes
Chestnut = Light Brown
Grains - for any of the grains, go darker as the stamping basically kills the pores so not much really gets into the grain

For crust leathers, cream is much more effective than wax, so I typically use a Neutral wax as a finish coat, and I use Renovateur between every coat of cream.

For Lobb, they use mainly finished calf as far as I can tell, so wax would be the way to go here. In this case go color for color or to the darker tone, depending on what you are polishing. We make JL's polishes, and I think we only make them wax, which makes perfect sense.

Hope that helps -
Ron

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads