• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Color Polish for J Lobb Plum Museum Calf?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new pair of Lobbs in Plum Museum Calf and have been thinking about polish colors, as the plum finish is a little different from the usual shoe colors. Burgundy is the obvious choice, I guess, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with shoes in the Lobb plum finish and the color of polish they've chosen and results they've had. The shade on mine is fairly dark, and I don't want to darken it any further, but instead highlight the antique effects. Any suggestions?

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use clear polishes on mine

in theory, Lobb's finishes are pretty durable, so use something to get scuffs out and protect the leather, but don't mess with the finish, imho (and I'm a huge antiquing person with most other shoes)

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Norcal_1. You must be like me--also a huge fan of antiqued finishes! By clear, do you mean neutral, as in no color? If so, how do you recolor the scuffs (when they appear and show lighter than the rest of the finish)? Would you recommend some burgundy cream for scuffs, but a neutral wax polish for protection against the elements?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I have a new pair of Lobbs in Plum Museum Calf and have been thinking about polish colors, as the plum finish is a little different from the usual shoe colors. Burgundy is the obvious choice, I guess, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with shoes in the Lobb plum finish and the color of polish they've chosen and results they've had. The shade on mine is fairly dark, and I don't want to darken it any further, but instead highlight the antique effects. Any suggestions?

I alternate between Burgol's Bordeaux and Saphir's Mahogany and it works well, though it has darkened the shoes a bit. You could just call the NYC Lobb store and ask them to send you the right polish.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
just call the NYC Lobb store and ask them to send you the right polish.

best advice since I've used neutral polishon mine but never asked Lobb for their pick (I don't wear plum museums shoes more than 10 times ayear)

Fab75

Reaction score
Plum is a mix of blue and red, so i will use either red or blue polish for plum museum shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads