• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Color Polish for CT/Loake Brown Calf "Semi Brogue"

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Anyone?

In wax, Kiwi brown or Kiwi mahogany? Or mid-tan even?

In cream (Meltonian), which color?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
can you post a picture?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
can you post a picture?

pervert!!!!

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
Anyone?

In wax, Kiwi brown or Kiwi mahogany? Or mid-tan even?

In cream (Meltonian), which color?

I would be interested in what you end up with. I have had mine for a few months, and I usually have them polished by "shoe shine guys." They have gotten noticeably darker, and I was thinking about stripping off the polish, and starting again with something lighter, and only doing it myself.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are these the same as Loake 1880 Durhams? If so, I would use Kiwi mid-tan if you wanted to keep the same shade. Personally I tend to use dark tan on mine, which adds a bit more depth to the colour.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Out of the box I used meltonian "sandalwood", then for wax polish I've used kiwi "tan" (I assume this is what people refer to as "mid-tan"?) Seems to work well, with no real change in color.

raley

Reaction score
Does anyone polish their shoes with neutral polish? I have some Grensons from the first sale, and while not "antiqued" per se, they have a certain personality in the color. When I polish with "brown" they just look matte and boring. When I polish with neutral the sun/light reflects off of them at cool angles and really makes them look interesting.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
MPSBRB_1.jpg

They're actually slightly darker than they appear on the above photograph.

Mid-tan? Interesting. I used Kiwi brown and they became considerably darker. Maybe I'll try Kiwi mid-tan next.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Does anyone polish their shoes with neutral polish?
I tried using neutral cream on brown-reddish shoes. While the color of the original finish was preserved, there were two issues. First, it did not cover up any nicks or scratches very well. Second, it did not shine as brilliantly.

I then used brown wax polish. It covered up the scratches and was more scuff-resistant and shone nicely, but darkened the shoes (lost the reddish glow).

I might now try neutral wax, hoping it would preserve the original color scheme, but provide shine and that waxy protection against scuffing.

AlexP415

Reaction score
I just finished polishing mine with:

1) Meltonian shoe cream - 50% Black / 50% Brown, mixed together
2) Lincoln wax polish - Dark Brown

The color is now considerably darker, and they look slightly "antiqued". I didn't let the cream set for too long, though, so the black isn't too noticeable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads