• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color pants and shoes would go well with a blue vest and bow tie?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That vest and bow tie you linked to is far removed from adult clothing, you can quite frankly wear any pants you want. I'm not trying to be mean, but that link is costume wear.

You'd be better off wearing a nice suit instead.

john963red

Reaction score
That vest and bow tie you linked to is far removed from adult clothing, you can quite frankly wear any pants you want. I'm not trying to be mean, but that link is costume wear.

You'd be better off wearing a nice suit instead.
The link is just meant to show my intended color. Is it the color that is costume like or the clothing itself? If you have to start your sentence with “I’m not trying to be mean,” then you’ll almost always end up sounding mean regardless.

mlstein

Reaction score
The link is just meant to show my intended color. Is it the color that is costume like or the clothing itself? If you have to start your sentence with “I’m not trying to be mean,” then you’ll almost always end up sounding mean regardless.
Wearing a vest without a jacket is not something most people think makes sense. Bartenders and waiters do that and if you do it you kind of look like them. The suit (and to a lesser extent the sports jacket trousers combo) does a really good job of making people look better. That's why it's lasted so long. (Of course, if you are young and slim you won't need the help!) The vest and pants combination doesn't do anything nice to anyone's looks. It's not the style and it never has been.

mlstein

Reaction score
Wearing a vest without a jacket is not something most people think makes sense. Bartenders and waiters do that and if you do it you kind of look like them. The suit (and to a lesser extent the sports jacket trousers combo) does a really good job of making people look better. That's why it's lasted so long. (Of course, if you are young and slim you won't need the help!) The vest and pants combination doesn't do anything nice to anyone's looks. It's not the style and it never has been.
The bow tie doesn't fit either, again unless you're a server. Most people think that a bow tie works with a tuxedo, and in fact is required with a tuxedo, but anywhere else one is likely to look like you're in costume or trying to look different. Sophisticated male dress is about subtlety and about putting your personal spin on highly traditional clothing v

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kid, if a person is insecure and self-conscious, then everything sounds mean. You’re here to learn, right? That’s why you’re asking us what to wear.
Both the color and the idea of wearing a vest and bow tie without a dinner jacket is tacky and clownish. Prom is the opportunity to begin dressing like a sophisticated adult.
So the real question is, do you want to look like a sophisticated adult? Or do you simply want to have your classmates notice you? We can help you with the former if you’re interested. :thumbs-up:

jaxenro

Reaction score
The real definition of elegant formal dressing is looking like everyone else only better and better doesn’t mean flashier but better fit and materials

The only time I could see wearing a vest without a jacket is maybe a cream linen vest and pants combo on a hot summer day with an open necked pure white dress shirt at a non formal lawn party

Other than that you look like a waiter or bartender

Some men can pull off a bow tie with just a sports coat but you probably have to be over 50. No one can pull it off without any coat at all

No one is being mean. If you want to dress well we can help. If you just want to look flashy you can do that without advice.

We know the event a prom and you don’t want to wear black tie. Do you have a budget? How much do you want to spend? What are you trying to achieve by not wearing a tux?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads