1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What color do I paint a room with crappy honeybrown trim?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by dusty, Jul 12, 2007.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

My new apartment has this horribly shitty light-colored wood veneer trim, which we are not permitted to paint over. The doors are the same color. Here is a picture, from Sherwin Williams's room maker, which shows the current trim and wall color, plus the color of furniture I had hoped to get: [​IMG] The room is carpeted with equally tasteless off-white carpet. What sorts of paint colors will go with this horrible trim, and will I still be able to get the darkly-colored furniture?

2. alexei

alexei Senior member

That sounds like my house, as well as every other generic, mass-produced suburban-development home. [​IMG] I have dark cherry furniture like this:
    [​IMG]
    I really hate the contrast between the cheap-looking "golden oak" or whatever it is and a nice, deep cherry. I painted the walls "hemlock," which is a dark green/blue color - showing more green than blue.

I'm very happy with the paint and furniture colors together, but still not with the trim. I think you'd be wise to use a neutral beige/tan paint (as boring as it is) into which the trim could somewhat blend. A dark wall color makes the contrasting light wood really stand out and I'd prefer to have not had that.

3. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

Crimson Don't think about doing it yourself; get professionals to do it.
    My first thought, followed by a deep green although that'll probably come off to much as a rich guys library. FYI red is the hardest color to paint, he's right about getting a pro

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

Deep green is actually what I wanted. Would that really look ok? Note that my apartment does not have crown moulding, it is just along the floor.

[​IMG]

That sounds like my house, as well as every other generic, mass-produced suburban-development home.

Yeah no kiddng. At least some of the newer ones are doing white trim, but not this one.

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Stay with a good white and get good original artworks up.

6. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

+1

Eggshell is good too. Do not be a mark and do not follow the crowd of wall painters who watch too much Sherwin Williams advertisement. The best color for your room is white. The furniture, art and green plants look the best against neutral white walls.

The only color that should be considered on walls of a house is color from the wallpaper.

Painting your walls different colors is moronic, just like following latest fads in fashion.

7. dusty

dusty Senior member

Ah, I was hoping you would reply. Do you have any comments on furniture color?

8. designprofessor

My furniture is in dark brown leather, and dark wood floors.
    My thinking was this:
    1. hides stains, I'm a painter, so though I like the current use of white furniture, it would be a maintenance issue.
    2. contrast. I like how light walls define the furniture.
    3. Also, lack of contrast. I've had interiors that were painted quite dark, and I liked the dark furniture against that backdrop as well.

For color, I throw in some silk pillows in orange /fuschia, and I rotate the paintings on the walls. I toyed with idea of getting my sofa in some really intense color, but in the end I felt that that would also limit my options on changing things up, which I'm prone to do.

Are you leaning toward any particular period?
    Pets?
    married / kids?

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

I suppose the period would be contemporary. What I had in mind was very dark brown wood and plain rectangular shapes. This dresser is representative of what I would like, thought the furniture doen't need to be quite this austere:

[​IMG]

There is a low upper ceiling on the modernity of what I can buy, since I will most likely be getting most of it from a large chain furniture store. Not at the top of my list for places to shop, but my sister works there and can get stuff for 10% over cost. I'm a grad student and don't have a lot of money, so it seems foolish to ignore this resource. As far as pets/wife/kids, I will probably have a cat.

10. hermes

hermes Senior member

that green is horrid
    stick with neutral wall colours
    as boring as beige and taupe and off-white may sound, it ends up working for the better in the long run as it will work well with whatever furniture you buy and artwork you put up on the walls

ideally, although you can't, painting out all that trim work would make the room look so much better .....

11. dusty

dusty Senior member

I suppose I'll keep it white then.

12. designprofessor

You have alot of options.
    Just buy quality, and don't feel like you have to do the whole thing in one shot. My tastes changed as I went through the process.
    Comb the books and magazines and save the ones that work. I noticed a pattern and used that as a starting point.
    I should also say my fiance steered me in some directions i might not have taken alone, and it forced me to question my ideas.
    Allow for change and cool stuff you find or have not even thought of yet.

13. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Have you considered maybe only painting one wall a different color and leaving the others white?

JB

14. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

/\\ Do not do it.

Mix and match furniture. Never collect too many pieces of the same style in a room.

15. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Any particular reason why it should not be done or are you just throwing an opinion out there? It was done in several rooms of my old house and looked quite good; it is done in my bedroom of my new house although not in any colors involving honey brown.

IMO it can look okay with some corresponding furniture or fabrics.

JB

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any particular reason why it should not be done or are you just throwing an opinion out there? It was done in several rooms of my old house and looked quite good; it is done in my bedroom of my new house although not in any colors involving honey brown. IMO it can look okay with some corresponding furniture or fabrics. JB
    Because it looks like you read interior design magazines and have no thoughts of your own. BTW, eggshell is a texture not a color.

17. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Hey, some of us are forced into design by pushy moms and HGTV [​IMG]

JB

18. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

I think besides wallpaper, having plain white walls is the worst thing you can do to a house unless you're going for an intentional sterile/white room feeling. Wallpaper should only be used for trim, and even then sparingly.

My room right now is 3 walls of a muted lime green, and 1 wall of brown. It looks pretty good together. My room previous to this I put up waynes coat around the room, then alternated dark blue and light blue 3ft. wide vertical stripes around the rest of the room, it looked really nice and clean also.

Whatever you decide just don't use swiss coffee.. ugh.

19. Isaac Mickle

Isaac Mickle Well-Known Member

white is the only wrong choice. wood has light "within" in, even if/when it's veneer, and contrast overwhelms it. american bungalow magazine used to regularly feature before and after home makeover pictures. white was always the wrong starting point. even off-whites are pretty awful.

the deep green is not the worst idea ... but the white ceiling is a no-no to go with it. contrast is not kind to wood.

surround wood moldings, windows, etc. with darker colors and you will get a lighter look. this is arts & crafts home 101. go to sherwin williams, get the arts & crafts palette, pick some red-orange, squash, teal, whatever, and do some such earthy color for the walls with a lighter but not white ceiling and (the computer is not going to show this) the wood will "glow." according to theory. then get wood stickley furniture, some mica-shade lamps, lots of brass doo-dads and lamps, etc.etc. and voila you are mission living in small intimate warm spaces.

don't take my word for it ... do some research ... i am not making this stuff up. your crappy honey-brown molding wants anything but white or off-white or bright neutral on the walls. you can do that white cube museum look in new construction, with its acres of drywall and shitty little moldings that you paint, but it's never going to look good in with significant wood moldings and windows