• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color a groom should wear?

tbrock

Reaction score

Fascinating. Thanks. I suppose that explains the opinions of some posters here - perhaps - English - disapproving of tuxedos at weddings, or at least thinking them an odd choice.

Yes, as an Englishman, it is just culturally and historically alien. My dad wore morning dress and his dad before him etc etc. If I marry I don't think I will. It would be an excuse to commission a lounge suit that could actually be worn on a daily basis for years afterwards. Even my dad only had one other opportunity to wear morning dress, at a certain garden party and that was some 35 years later, with considerably more girth. Thank God he rented.

Back to black (tie). It just doesn't seem right to me because I am accustomed to Roman Catholic and C of E weddings that are quite formal and lengthy. To turn up to mass in a dinner jacket is a little louche. I associate (rightly or wrongly) evening wear with dinner, cocktails, parties and informal ceremonies (awards). Outdated maybe but wearing a black tie rig is basically stating your intention to party, not so much to give vows. Perhaps I have just seen too many films from the 1920s and 1930s... To my eyes, it's just incongruous and gauche but I admit that is entirely cultural and as distinct as a groom would dress at a Hindu ceremony.

ArnimFritsch

Reaction score
I got married 10 years ago. At that time I would have worn a tuxedo regardless of the time of day, in part because I didn't know better. However, I got lucky. We were married at 6:00 PM on a very cold December night. Jazz and cocktails followed. I'll take the position that black tie was appropriate.

I now live close to the beach in a warm place. If I were doing it over again now, I'd have a beach wedding. I and the groomsmen would wear something like beige cotton summer suits. Sure, there would be some wrinkles and sand in the loafers, but who cares... it's the beach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads