What college did you go/do you go to?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Jun 13, 2007.

1. mcjimbosandwich

mcjimbosandwich Member

Despite all the J-Press references, why is that i don't see any other yalies out here?

Yale 2007
    Columbia PhD sometimes...

2. samblau

samblau Senior member

Brandeis University 2003 - Brooklyn Law School 2007

One day in the real world un-did all of that nonsense.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Oh boy, this oughta be fun.

1 year at Monmouth College in Monmouth illinois (relatively selective small liberal arts college)
    1 year at Lincoln Christian College in Illinois
    Now, after realizing what I feel called to, am at Ivy Tech State College in Indiana
    Hopefully after this, I can get into Univ of Chicago for my Masters and hopefully Ivy League (or something comparable) for my JD

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Freshman at Ohio University (Athens, OH)

5. Mr. Blue Tape

Mr. Blue Tape Member

North Carolina State University (hope to be done next year)
    B.S. Applied Mathematics
    B.S. Computer Science

6. Principe

Principe New Member

CEMS - Community of European Management Schools

www.cems.org

7. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

Current student at Ithaca College in NY. I'm sure some of you know of it from Roadtrip the movie. Business Admin./Economics.

8. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Despite all the J-Press references, why is that i don't see any other yalies out here?

Yale 2007
    Columbia PhD sometimes...

I think you may have been the first to post; I recall there being some yalies at AskAndy, but not sure here.

Yale 2002
    Georgetown Law 2005

9. totally epic

totally epic Senior member

Iowa State '05 - B.S. Computer Engineering & Mathematics (double major)
    Carnegie Mellon '07 - M.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering

10. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Thought I would resurrect this thread cause the other goofy one piqued my interest.

3rd year at UCSD studying Poli Sci

But I am curious how many here have found their educations of much value? -Discounting of course MD's and the like who actually require a bit of an edu...

But my Poli Sci stuff has been boring, bullshitty and a waste of time... The real world has been a much greater experience and I just don't see what I've learned coming up much... particularly that C++ programming gen. ed. class I had to take, yea I needed that for sure.[​IMG]

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Thought I would resurrect this thread cause the other goofy one piqued my interest.

3rd year at UCSD studying Poli Sci

But I am curious how many here have found their educations of much value? -Discounting of course MD's and the like who actually require a bit of an edu...

But my Poli Sci stuff has been boring, bullshitty and a waste of time... The real world has been a much greater experience and I just don't see what I've learned coming up much... particularly that C++ programming gen. ed. class I had to take, yea I needed that for sure.[​IMG]

I've heard from multiple sources, reputable ones like my father, my advisor, and many people on this forum saying that undergrad is more about proving your ability to put up with bullshit, work hard enough to get good grades, and things like that more than it is preparing you for a certain job. Trust me, I'm in poli sci classes as well, so I feel your pain. The easier it is for the general population to get into undergrad, the higher you have to go in education to stand out from the rest. I find my undergrad to be nothing more than preparing me for Grad school and a chance to prove to people my abilities.

12. sidney

sidney Senior member

New York University Tisch School of the Arts '08

13. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I've heard from multiple sources, reputable ones like my father, my advisor, and many people on this forum saying that undergrad is more about proving your ability to put up with bullshit, work hard enough to get good grades, and things like that more than it is preparing you for a certain job. Trust me, I'm in poli sci classes as well, so I feel your pain. The easier it is for the general population to get into undergrad, the higher you have to go in education to stand out from the rest. I find my undergrad to be nothing more than preparing me for Grad school and a chance to prove to people my abilities.

I have heard the same from the same sort of people. But I am a hear and now type person and can't stand sitting through bullshit, so most of the time I don't go and just bullshit my way through tests and papers. The whole system bugs me with its inefficiency and is compounded when I listen to other kids talk or attempt to make coherent points in class I want to puke... Then I wonder if lame Harvard or UPenn would have taken me off a waitlist it would have been better. But seeing some of the grads from those schools I can't see it be worth 45k per year... But maybe for the networking...

I like to bitch...

14. sidney

sidney Senior member

You can pay $50k/year to get contacts, or you can hustle and get that shit on your own... and for much less.

15. Coho

Coho Senior member

Ha ha. No doubt. Having studied at Oxford for 2 quarters as part of my undergraduate Overseas Studies program, I think Cambridge owns Oxford. I worked in a biomedical lab that is closed down around 5pm and they made everyone exit the building . Here, in the states, even at 2 am in the morning, you can still hear the clickings of the pipetman. At the residence, there was limited wireless internet access when the whole world has gone wireless. However, the maids were hot![​IMG]
    A pity they don't at least offer an A.A., so that their alumni could claim they were "Oxford graduates." The University of Mississippi is situated in Oxford, Mississippi. I can recall, when I was living in Austin, Texas, mentioning to one rather supercilious chap that I had gone to Oxford. He assumed that I meant "Ole Miss." I replied, a bit testily, that, no, I meant the real deal--Oxford, England. Speaking of Ole Miss, I wonder if that controversy over their mascot "Colonel Rebel" was ever resolved. Think I'll check it out.