• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What collar style is most suitable for a suit?

tommboy

Reaction score
What collar style do I need to wear with a tie and suit? Are there specific rules for what types of collars go with what or is more personal preference? Does one collar style go better with ties than others?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is more personal preference. But it is given for events.

For different collar use different knots (and ties).

EricE.

Reaction score
if your face is narrow you should definetely use a spread collar.
and if your face is wider you should wear a classic collar.

thats my opinio and since i have a narrow face i wear spread collars and they just look
a lot better than the typical pointy collars

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this preference for shirt collars that tuck underneath the lapels of the suit so that the points of the collar is not seen. So I like the spread. Also, I hate the new trend in shirt collars where they leave a huge gap for the tie.
standard-classic-dress-shirt-collar.jpg

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EricE.
if your face is narrow you should definetely use a spread collar.
and if your face is wider you should wear a classic collar.

thats my opinio and since i have a narrow face i wear spread collars and they just look
a lot better than the typical pointy collars

For typical business wear, semi-spread or point is safest. Traditionally, with a suit, the collar should not be button-down. Collar style is not so simple as choosing based on face shape. Shoulder width, neck length, and other details should be taken into account. Often, if the store has a good selection and allows shirts to be tried on, people can figure it out for themselves with the help of a salesperson and the mirror. Or a consultant
smile.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My simple rule is that the shirt collar should at least meet if not fall under the jacket lapels. I also enjoy ~.25" stitching in lieu of edge stitching.

RyanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Also, I hate the new trend in shirt collars where they leave a huge gap for the tie.

+1

aldica

Reaction score
It's about your face shape, your tie, the width of your lapel. It isn't about the "style" that goes best with a tie.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Also, I hate the new trend in shirt collars where they leave a huge gap for the tie.

standard-classic-dress-shirt-collar.jpg

I was not aware that the wide tie space is a modern fashion feature. The wide tie space was pretty typical of men's shirt collars in the 1930s and 1940s. Those collars were usually long points and completely unfused, hence the wrinkled "roll" in vintage photographs.

Like this:
clark-gable.jpg

Here Bertie Wooster (wearing a reproduction) pins his down to keep it neat:
jw001.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads