• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothing/items should I buy while in Brazil?

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any particular items of clothing or 'accessories' that Brazil specializes in?

So far, I gather that you can get okay shoes, well priced shaving supplies, and a decent tailor (if you are in Rio or Sao Paolo).

I will be in the city of Belem for a month starting one week from now. I'm going to try to track down a tailor, though my hopes are dim. I found a few online and I'll post at SF and AAAC if I find one worth knowing about.

My cousin bought some great coats/suits for very good prices while he was in Rio, but apparently they fell apart in NYC.

I also asked this question over at AAAC:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hile-in-Brazil

Thank you for any suggestions.

Felix Leiter

Reaction score
Seagriffin

As you know Brazil is a big coutry with a lot of diversity.
The south is more european like. The southeast is where the money is (Rio-São Paulo) and the north (BelÃ
00a9.png
m) /Northeast is the poorer part of the country. Going to the north and then to the south, for example, is almost like visiting two completely different countries!
Outside São Paulo and Rio (where I live) I don`t think you will find anything.
Also, I dont think BelÃ
00a9.png
m is a good place to find a tailor.
Forget about the clothes and enjoy the trip.
About the suits: it's true that you can find beautifull suits almost for free here. But, as anywere, you get what you pay for...You can find really good stuff also, but for a proportional price.
If you need any recommendation about Rio feel free to ask.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sportswear
t-shirts, knit shirts, casual pants.
don't bother with tailored clothing and tailors are not that cheap either.

the dollar is not that strong there anymore.
have fun, enjoy the food

flatfront

Reaction score
I'd agree, with the above Brazil is great for stocking up on sportswear, and naturally beachwear. I have never seen too much tailored wear but then I don't head into the business districts too often. I am looking forward my first visit in a few years next month.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Thanks everybody,

Well, I have a friend in Rio that I could visit, though her parents apparently don't trust 'strange' men so I'd be staying at a hotel. If I can, I'll try to go over to Rio there for at least one weekend towards the end. Felix Leiter, thank you for the offer.

The internet is filled with warnings about safety in the big cities. I realize one shouldn't be a moron and go into the favelas or flash around money, but if you're blending in, is safety really much of an issue? I've been to too many countries where I'm warned it isn't safe and if you have half a brain everything is fine.

Pity about the tailors and the value of the dollar. Ah well, I still know someone in Peru with my measurements. Perhaps I can least find someone to take in some of my current shirts for less than in the States.

I asked one of the locals in Belem and she didn't know of any tailors...google showed some downtown by the river. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be like a huge shopping district so if I find anything worth reporting I'll mention it. After all, it is a port city...there may be something nifty leaving or arriving on the shore.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeaGriffin
Hello,

Are there any particular items of clothing or 'accessories' that Brazil specializes in?

So far, I gather that you can get okay shoes, well priced shaving supplies, and a decent tailor (if you are in Rio or Sao Paolo).

I will be in the city of Belem for a month starting one week from now. I'm going to try to track down a tailor, though my hopes are dim. I found a few online and I'll post at SF and AAAC if I find one worth knowing about.

My cousin bought some great coats/suits for very good prices while he was in Rio, but apparently they fell apart in NYC.

I also asked this question over at AAAC:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hile-in-Brazil

Thank you for any suggestions.

Interesting bracelets made from beads. Then sell them to me on the cheap.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes. There are some wonderful handmade and bespoke shoes that can be had for just a couple of hundred dollars at most.

Where in Brazil are you heading to?

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Hey Metlin,
Belem...kind of puts me a bit out of the way. Still, if you can point me towards good brands that would be appreciated. May swing by Rio, not sure if I will have the time.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeaGriffin
Thanks everybody,

Well, I have a friend in Rio that I could visit, though her parents apparently don't trust 'strange' men so I'd be staying at a hotel. If I can, I'll try to go over to Rio there for at least one weekend towards the end. Felix Leiter, thank you for the offer.

The internet is filled with warnings about safety in the big cities. I realize one shouldn't be a moron and go into the favelas or flash around money, but if you're blending in, is safety really much of an issue? I've been to too many countries where I'm warned it isn't safe and if you have half a brain everything is fine.

Pity about the tailors and the value of the dollar. Ah well, I still know someone in Peru with my measurements. Perhaps I can least find someone to take in some of my current shirts for less than in the States.

I asked one of the locals in Belem and she didn't know of any tailors...google showed some downtown by the river. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be like a huge shopping district so if I find anything worth reporting I'll mention it. After all, it is a port city...there may be something nifty leaving or arriving on the shore.

I was there for Carnival last year. Don't worry about the favelas. There's no real reason to go into them anyway. But for the most part, if you were there, as long as you don't look like an idiot rich tourist with lots of money you'll be plenty safe, since the druglords up there police themselves. They don't want much in the way of trouble that brings in the corrupt police departments, since they usually get shaken down by several. I remember sitting rooftop at my hotel in Copacabana, hearing automatic gunfire and shot gun blasts on two different days while I was there, coming from the nearby favela.

Just take my little tip, stay the hell off the beaches any time after sunset. I knew this before hand, but stretched it out late one evening, since our dinner was late due to slow service. Jogging on the beach every evening was great exercise and the view was amazing, but on the second to last day, we were out there too late after sunset, and were mugged by two guys with big ******* knives. My most etched memory of Rio is laying on my back in the sand with a knife to my throat, while I was being robbed of my new camera.

Stupid thing on my part was, literally 10 minutes earlier, I had taken what I knew was going to be the last shot for the evening since it was getting so dark, and I told myself I should take my memory card out "just in case" but didn't. I didn't bring my laptop either, after hearing that most hotels are unsafe to leave such items in, and the room safes are too small to fit a laptop. So I lost nearly 500 priceless photographs ( edited down from nearly 3000 shots) to top it off.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
The downside about shopping in Brazil is that everything will have a soccer team's logo on it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
My most etched memory of Rio is laying on my back in the sand with a knife to my throat, while I was being robbed of my new camera.

****, sorry to hear that. I get so comfortable in Soa Paolo that I am sure I am going to get fucked up one day. I don't wonder too far from the area of my hotel by myself, but I have gone running in the down town at night a few times. and I am always more than a little uptight about it.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Yes,
I'm sorry to hear about the beach incident as well. At least you came out it alive and with a story, though that doesn't bring back the photos. The way I get in trouble is that I talk to people that seem nice/seem to need help. I'm a sucker that way.

Clubman lives in Belem? I'll check out his profile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads