• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothes did you wear as a child?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a very young lad I had two very distinct wardrobes: (1) jeans (double-kneed Farah Gold Strike) and striped pull-over shirts for school and goofing around; and (2) grey flannel or blue blazer, olive or grey trousers, a horribly stiff, starched shirt and bow tie for church or special occasions. We even had to "dress" for dinner, or to go to the "big city". I remember walking around downtown Minneapolis for an entire day while my mother looked for 6-1/2 AA shoes with AAAA heels, dressed in this stiff shirt, tie and blazer. By the time we got to the Radisson on 7th Street for dinner my neck was so raw I swore it was bleeding. I remember walking past a shoe store every day on my way to elementary school and absolutely LUSTING after a pair of black, high topped PF Flyers. God I wanted those shoes. But my folks were trying to save money to buy their own business, so I always ended up with some obscure brand of tennis shoes with Art Linklater on the box. I hit high school about the same time marijuana was legalized (or at least I think it was legal then...sure seemed like it.), so my dress code kind of went up in smoke: 501s shrunk to fit, Crazy Shirtz, thermal long underwear shirts and flannels. Oh, and Earth Shoes. That was the uniform of the day all the way through college, although I always had at least one suit and one blazer and slacks outfit. It was always a hoot to throw on a three-piece suit and go to a party. Had my hair back in a ponytail. All the pockets in the jacket were great. One for pot, another for papers, another for...oh well, you get the idea.
biggrin.gif

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earth shoes--hah, I just remembered; I had a pair. And the mary jane...had sum o that too. A lot. I think. L o n g time ago (exhales...)

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must have started caring at an early age, because I can remember...toughskins (not in blue jean colors though - burgundy and brown, right?), all sorts of shirts/sweaters/coats from the 'Swap Shop', well worn or from a previous decade, and shoes from the worn/damaged room at my father's store; usually Clarks Desert Boots. Then, Catholic School came to the rescue. Cords, cotton pants, button-down collar shirts w/an old necktie - stereotypical stuff. Hmmm, come to think of it... nothing has really changed in 20 years. Actually, I'm now wearing a heavy sweater that dates to my high scool days. It looks better now, with the moth holes.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earth shoes. Yup, I had a pair of those in 7th grade, with the wavy sole. Very cool. But I didn't really care too much about what I wore until 8th grade when my family moved from the Pa. countryside to DC, and then the Preppy Handbook came out. It was then that I began to realize that I actually had a dressing "style" -- preppy. I started discovering nicer clothes towards the end of high school, when I had grown enough that I was able to wear some hand-me-downs from my father -- Sulka, Paul Stuart, Brooks, F.R. Tripler, A&F, etc. The rest is history -- basically "high end" preppy.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that I really think about it, I always cared, but rarely did a very good job... Through second grade my mother dressed me I think, I still crack up at how preppy I look in those pictures. I still remember throwing a huge fit when I was 7 or 8 because I didn't want to wear these Docker pants she bought me. Things went downhill from there, though my mother has extrordinary taste and managed to keep me from what would have been some truly aggregious selections. I wanted a lot of horrid 80's stuff but never got it (anybody remember those skinny leather ties?) In high school I went through a few "looks" starting with basketball gear - team shorts/shirts/caps and Jordans when I collected cards, then a couple years in a real grunge phase (it was the early 90's after all,) and then I finished up alright, with levi's/redsand t-shirts and Chukka or hiking boots. After high school came some dark years where I thought I looked pretty good in my thrift store garb while pumping all my cash into a dirt-bike obsession. So awareness of clothing is nothing new for me, but looking good is.. Â
biggrin.gif

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(johnapril @ Jan. 27 2005,11:36) I wore the hand-me-downs from the three older boys who lived katycorner to our house. Â When I got older, my father took me to Brooks Brothers for a navy sportcoat and tan slacks. Â The tie was navy and red thick diagonal stripes. Â The shoes were penny loafers. Â The haircut was a bowl over the head and removal of any hair sticking out from under the lip. Â This approach to fashion prepared me for my twenties to travel abroad for extended periods, without leaving a phone number, so I could write, let my hair grow out, and dress in the simplest of rags.
no little safron robes
biggrin.gif
?
Robes worn by Burmese clergy are crimson. Not all of the monks in the country are short or slight of stature, and so logically some of their robes are cut quite large. I studied in Burma, and I am 6 feet tall, so if I were to have worn a robe, it would not have been saffron-colored, nor little. The saffron-colored robes occur in the Thai and Indian clergy. The Laotians wear a shade of golden-green. That being said, during my stint in Rangoon, I never took robes, having been merely a yogi. Taking robes involves a deeper commitment, signified by shaving one's head, wearing robes, carrying a bowl for dana, et cetera.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I have three older brothers, and wore nothing but hand me downs. Most of the time, they didnt fit right for at least a few months.

All kidding aside, I think this may be one of the reasons why I now allow clothes to be one of my vices.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three older brothers, and wore nothing but hand me downs.  Most of the time, they didnt fit right for at least a few months.

All kidding aside, I think this may be one of the reasons why I now allow clothes to be one of my vices.
Same experience and rationale here too.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All My Life I've Worn Nothing But The Very Best
Clothes_as_a_Child01.jpg
Zimmerli Royal Classic High V-Neck Tot-Shirt Brioni "Boy Shorts" with matching Thurston Braces Pantherella "Whites for Tykes" John Lobb's "Little Lobbers"
tounge.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I really think about it, I always cared, but rarely did a very good job... Through second grade my mother dressed me I think, I still crack up at how preppy I look in those pictures. I still remember throwing a huge fit when I was 7 or 8 because I didn't want to wear these Docker pants she bought me. Things went downhill from there, though my mother has extrordinary taste and managed to keep me from what would have been some truly aggregious selections. I wanted a lot of horrid 80's stuff but never got it (anybody remember those skinny leather ties?) In high school I went through a few "looks" starting with basketball gear - team shorts/shirts/caps and Jordans when I collected cards, then a couple years in a real grunge phase (it was the early 90's after all,) and then I finished up alright, with levi's/redsand t-shirts and Chukka or hiking boots. After high school came some dark years where I thought I looked pretty good in my thrift store garb while pumping all my cash into a dirt-bike obsession. So awareness of clothing is nothing new for me, but looking good is.. Â
biggrin.gif
Wow Dockers at 7 or 8? I didn't peg you for someone that young.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All My Life I've Worn Nothing But The Very Best
Clothes_as_a_Child01.jpg
Zimmerli Royal Classic High V-Neck Tot-Shirt Brioni "Boy Shorts" with matching Thurston Braces Pantherella "Whites for Tykes" John Lobb's "Little Lobbers"
tounge.gif
Joyeux anniversaire .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads