What clothes did you wear as a child?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, Jan 27, 2005.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I wore the hand-me-downs from the three older boys who lived katycorner to our house. When I got older, my father took me to Brooks Brothers for a navy sportcoat and tan slacks. The tie was navy and red thick diagonal stripes. The shoes were penny loafers. The haircut was a bowl over the head and removal of any hair sticking out from under the lip. This approach to fashion prepared me for my twenties to travel abroad for extended periods, without leaving a phone number, so I could write, let my hair grow out, and dress in the simplest of rags.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Funny, I'm the reverse: other than "Official Functions" i.e. parties, specific family gatherings, funerals, etc... I was allowed to wear pretty much what I wanted to, thus as I got older I systematically got more and more structured when it came to my appearance (as well, I used to let my hair grow rather natty and disorganized.). Only as of late, perhaps 1-½ years have I yet again become more relaxed at wearing certain items. Many people who are really wild had very conservative parents, whereas people who are more structured now have fairly liberal parents.

In other words: dude, just chillax.

Jon.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

no little safron robes [​IMG] ?

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I wore Izod/Lacoste polos for a long time as a kid.. I dont think they were considered expensive at the time, as my family was quite poor as well. I hated jeans until high school, and now I love them. I started shopping thrift stores at around the same time and really started to get into punk / vintage clothing.

5. riahvi

riahvi Member

I can't remember what I wore before I was in school, but from about 1960 on I was almost always in a uniform. Private school meant grey dress pants, a blue or white oxford shirt, a striped school tie, a navy cardigan and Sebago loafers during the week. Play clothes were blue jeans and a long sleeved Izod shirt in the winter, and khaki camp shorts with lots of zippers, pockets and hooks and a short-sleeved Izod shirt in the summer. (We lived near an Izod outlet)

My only room for personal expression was outerwear. I campaigned hard for a long maroon wool benchwarmer coat in the third grade instead of some teal blue nylon jacket with a knit wool collar that my mother preferred. And by the fifth grade, I balked at wearing the traditional yellow rubber slicker with the buckles and helmet style hat. Instead, I got an olive drab canvas/ rubber knee length hooded parka. I did lose out on the galoshes fight and had to wear them through 8th grade. And by the way, still wear the same style Tingley storm rubbers today.(In case you are reading, mom)

I think my first real fashion sense developed in high school when the requirement was to wear a sport coat and tie. It being the late sixties, early seventies, I'd rather not mention what I wore. Too, embarrassing to remember. But the words, crushed velvet, double knit and quiana come to mind.

6. acole

acole Senior member

Diagnosis: fashion catatonia well through college. Â A lone childhood snapshot reveals a vestige of unintended style, probably an echo of a previous life: russet-and-yellow plaid pants with a burnt orange ribbed turtleneck 1/4-zip. Â The proud ship sank beneath the waves immediately after that...anonymous jeans, t-shirts, gawdawful poly-blend "dress shirts" with short sleeves, "OshKosh-b'Gosh", and Orlon sweaters from Penney's and Sears (or an older cousin)...set against a perennial bowl cut and those awful plastic-framed 80's glasses, the curse of the congenitally myopic: perpetually broken in sport then repaired by an engineer father wielding a soldering iron and a tube of epoxy...lurching painfully through the O.p.-shirt-and-Hawaiian-print-"jam shorts" phase in the 80's, capped now by tinted contact lenses and a *permanent wave* spurred by overreaction to emancipation from the tyranny of bowl cuts...followed closely and uncomfortably by obnoxiously oversize T's in hideous dayglo colors emblazoned with giant, nonsensical lettering: "CHAMS on YOU."; "RELAX."...a few placid years of navy cords/blue oxford school uniform over deck shoes...a polyester-blend navy pinstripe suit, the ubiquitous lemon-yellow ties in pin-dots and paisley, and black Florsheims (hey, real leather.) in senior year...the whole vast sartorial edifice then giving way to tie-dye, running shorts, sweats, and hiking boots in college. Â Yep, a real fashion plate I was...where in hell were the paparazzi? Naturally, I blame my parents for the entire sordid affair. Â [​IMG]

7. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

It's funny I'm only 20 I don't remember much of my early childhood. Like Fabienne I remember very specific things about clothes in childhood and not much else. I can still remember a pair of uncomfortable green cords I had to wear to church. From what I can piece together: Kindergarten: Ghostbuster's sweater (man they were awesome), purple sweat pants, whatever sneakers were on sale at Woolworth's, and apparently (as my Mum informs me) a clip-on tie at every dinner party no matter what kind of shirt I wore. Grade 5: Bowl haircut, No Fear t-shirt that hit the knee, jeans, Timex watch with velcro strap, clunkiest trainers you've ever seen. (I was such a nerd, hell, still am...) Grade 9: (I remember this outfit specifically, I was too into brand names at this point) Safety Yellow Helly Hanson vest, Tommy Jeans, Nike trainers Grade 12[​IMG]I was pretty preppy around this time, mainly because all of my friends weren't) Dad's suit shirt, Levi's, Brown's chelsea boots, vintage suede jacket, scarf, vintage Volvo...

8. KevinR

KevinR Well-Known Member

I remember in third grade (circa 78-79) a kid in class dressed pretty sharp. Button down shirts and sweater vests. I bugged my mom until she got me some clothes like that. By junior high, I was all into the preppy polo shirt, khakis and dexter deck shoes. I'm quite proud of the fact that I never fell into the designer jean and high top nikes that where going strong in high school.

9. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

OK - here goes.

In elementary school I pretty much wore stuff from JC Penney's and Sears. I remember especially wearing Toughskins jeans that my mom bought because they advertised that they would not wear out in the knees. I also remember my mom using those iron-on patches inside the knees when they finally did wear out.

My other signature look in 6th grade was a blue-cloth chinese "Mao" hat that I got somewhere. I wore that everyday to class and apparently did so enough that when I attended my 6th grade teacher's retirement party last year, and hadn't seen him in more than 20 years, he still remembered that hat.

The Official Preppy Handbook came out when I was in 7th grade and that had a huge influence on me. I ordered a pair of khaki's from LL Bean and I persuaded my mom to embroider sailboats on some plain polos I had picked up (much cheaper than getting Lacoste or Ralph Lauren). I also picked up a pair of Sperry Topsiders while vacationing on Mackinac Island in Michigan.

In high school, I basically wore a standard uniform of Levi's 501's, t-shirt, polo shirt or sweat shirt and K-Swiss classic tennis shoes. But in my sophomore year, I also went through the phase where I was heavily influenced by the release of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and thus I had a pair of checkerboard Van's, lot's of OP & PCH shirts and (god help me) white drawstring pants and a really cool painters hat from Town & Country with the ying-yang logo on top.

Bradford

10. AJL

AJL Senior member

This question (or at least the subtitle) seems akin to asking "How old were you when you first realized you were gay?" [​IMG] My stepfather owned a children's and also a "young adult's" clothing store ( the latter called The Gazebo--very groovy, baby, yeah.) when I was a kid, and as such I donned whatever the latest togs were at the moment for that time and place-- Litchfield County, CT. in the late '60's and early 70's. That translated to Levi's bellbottoms and 100% polyester nehru jackets in obscenely bright variations of orange and green, accessorized by fake silk paisley neckerchiefs (probably evil polyester again) held in place by fake brass rings. Later on in high school, I graduated to jeans with the knees (and sometimes ass) missing, frayed button down/ hand me down shirts, denim, black leather biker and fringed suede jackets, and Frye boots followed by black suede Beatle boots. College saw more of same, only the leather jackets were now more distressed, lots of printed T-Shirts (my New York Dolls tee was probably my all-time favorite), reptile-skin cowboy boots and more ripped jeans, definitely well into the punk thing then in late 70's/ early 80's. Definitely not a time of blossoming metrosexuality. That came later...

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

This SOOOOO begs to be done. [​IMG]

12. stache

stache Senior member

I remember Poll Parrot and Buster Brown shoes (blegh). I got pretty persistant about what I wanted to wear by the fifth grade and started getting a lot of my own clothes around Junior year high school. Some vintage and Paul Harris (Does anyone remember when they sold young mens' clothing?).

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

...somebody asked earlier, when I showed it to them. YES those are brown velvet pants with a blue nylon coat and white knockoff nike shoes. Sue me.

The red galoshes in the previous picture more than make up for it. I am the king of all I survey.

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

ditto with the addition of JC Penny Husky Jeans

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Perhaps this explains why I've never even been curious about even going to the made-to-measure/bespoke events put on by Oxxford/Brioni/Kiton/etc.