• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothes are good for athletic builds?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've been buying my shirts and sweaters too big my whole life! I didn't even realize this until I started hanging out on here. I'm about 5' 9.5, 165 lbs., a 41" chest/31" waist and generally have bought most everything in a large. Mediums fit me perfectly in the torso and sleeve length, but are usually too tight in the chest and shoulder area. The larges are usually ok in the upper body, but then drape like a tent with too long sleeves. As far as RL polos go, mediums are out of the question. After a couple washes, even the larges are snug on my arms. But they shrink down pretty good, so the larges are ok I guess. As for t-shirts, I can often get away with mediums. What are my options for sweaters and button up shirts??

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
I think I've been buying my shirts and sweaters too big my whole life! I didn't even realize this until I started hanging out on here. I'm about 5' 9.5, 165 lbs., a 41" chest/31" waist and generally have bought most everything in a large. Mediums fit me perfectly in the torso and sleeve length, but are usually too tight in the chest and shoulder area. The larges are usually ok in the upper body, but then drape like a tent with too long sleeves. As far as RL polos go, mediums are out of the question. After a couple washes, even the larges are snug on my arms. But they shrink down pretty good, so the larges are ok I guess. As for t-shirts, I can often get away with mediums. What are my options for sweaters and button up shirts??

It really depends on the brand. In terms of designer wear, I would probably shy away from brands like Jil Sander, Costume National, and Dior, which fit narrow, slim bodies best, and tend towards Dolce & Gabbana and Calvin Klein, which are designed for a more muscular physique. In streetwear, it's a hit and miss. For atypical body types, it is always best to try things on before buying.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I have the same problem as you, but about one size down. I'm only 5'5, 150 lbs., with 38" chest and 30" waist, and while medium tops usually fit me in the shoulders and chest, they are often way too long or they bell out if they aren't tapered. Small shirts are sometimes too tight in the chest, and small button down shirts are sometimes hard to button at the neck . Likewise, generic sized blazers and jackets are often too tight in small (and brands like triple 5 soul are even too tight in the arms/biceps), and too long in medium. As LA Guy mentioned, it really varies between brands, but one thing that's saved me a lot of frustration is having a great tailor. Also bear in mind that prior to a couple of years or so ago, looser fits were still paramount and more common. So most likely, the clothing that you bought 4 years ago and thought looked great on you probably looks ridiculous to you in light of today's fashion. Anyway, while some brands such as Emporio Armani and Ben Sherman's ('carnaby' line) make clothing that seems to fit me perfectly, I cannot stress enough the benefits of a good tailor. I have found some awesome looking articles of clothing that were quite misshapen on me, and my tailor makes them look bespoke.

nastyandy

Reaction score
bigstar[1].gif
and with that post I just became a senior member
bigstar[1].gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it just depends on what you mean by "too tight" in the shoulders/chest. I wear medium/large shirts and am 6'1 and 220 and quite muscular. From the pictures I've posted I don't think most people think that the clothes I wear are overly tight either. I think it depends on what you mean by tight. If you don't want any restriction of movement at all then you're probably wearing things too large. Posting pictures may be the best way to evaluate this.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that mediums fit you too tightly in the chest. I have a 39" chest (29" waist) and I fit into most smalls with no problems. Maybe you are just not yet used to clothes fitting a bit closer? Also, most cotton will stretch out after about half hour if it's a bit too tight to start with.

Oltmann

Reaction score
When I clicked on this thread I was expecting one of these 54"/34" monsters. Your dimensions are pretty typical. Everyone has to search out something that fits them specifically, but you're going to be able to wear 90% of the clothes discussed here.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that chest isn't too crazy..i say just hit the gym til a large fits well lol.

i'm a 42" chest with a 31" waist

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I find it hard to believe that mediums fit you too tightly in the chest. I have a 39" chest (29" waist) and I fit into most smalls with no problems. Maybe you are just not yet used to clothes fitting a bit closer? Also, most cotton will stretch out after about half hour if it's a bit too tight to start with.
Everyone's built slightly differently, even with similar measurements. I've got relatively broad shoulders and the real problem area seems to be my outer pecs. I tried on a couple medium button ups in H&M a couple weeks ago and they were very constricting in that area. Maybe the stretching aspect is plausible, but it felt like the shirts would rip if I tried to lift my arm and wave at someone. (Of course this is H&M we're talking about.)

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
that chest isn't too crazy..i say just hit the gym til a large fits well lol.

i'm a 42" chest with a 31" waist

Been there, done that. In '99 I was a 44/30 and around 6-7%. That was with a little go-go juice though. Now that'll really reak havoc on a wardrobe.
tounge.gif

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oltmann
When I clicked on this thread I was expecting one of these 54"/34" monsters. Your dimensions are pretty typical. Everyone has to search out something that fits them specifically, but you're going to be able to wear 90% of the clothes discussed here.
No, I'm not a really big guy, but I'd say a 6 inch drop is typical, as opposed to a 10 inch one. 90% of mens suits off the rack come with a six inch drop. Maybe I should just start wearing tighter mediums and hope they stretch and become more comfortable.

Oltmann

Reaction score
Agreed, 90% of mens suits/clothing is made for people who are not as fit as you. I just don't see that kind of clothing being discussed here, except with disdain. Generally, I would expect you are a medium, but you may be between sizes in some brands.

My favorite recent purchase is this Cloak buttondown. I am a 44" chest and a large fits me perfectly. I can't imagine a medium wouldn't be okay on you, and this is generally a skinny guy brand.

Also, sounds like you've figured this out already, but I would like to negate knucks suggestion (though maybe he was kidding since he lol'd himself.) Especially if the goal of all this is to attract women.

"Expressed in numerical terms, the body that Austrian men thought that women preferred was approximately 21 lb more muscular than the body that Austrian women actually preferred."
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...ull/157/8/1297

If anything, lose weight.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oltmann
Agreed, 90% of mens suits/clothing is made for people who are not as fit as you. I just don't see that kind of clothing being discussed here, except with disdain. Generally, I would expect you are a medium, but you may be between sizes in some brands.

My favorite recent purchase is this Cloak buttondown. I am a 44" chest and a large fits me perfectly. I can't imagine a medium wouldn't be okay on you, and this is generally a skinny guy brand.

Also, sounds like you've figured this out already, but I would like to negate knucks suggestion (though maybe he was kidding since he lol'd himself.) Especially if the goal of all this is to attract women.

"Expressed in numerical terms, the body that Austrian men thought that women preferred was approximately 21 lb more muscular than the body that Austrian women actually preferred."
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...ull/157/8/1297

If anything, lose weight.

Interesting read.... Arnold must've thought the average Austrian woman liked her man with an extra 90 lbs of muscle. And it's so true that most women are turned off by excessive muscularity. Although sometimes I wonder if many of them subconciously equate muscle with a lack of intelligence, thus fueling their distaste. Much the way I would stereotype a stripper or Appreciation star as being "dumb".

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. In '99 I was a 44/30 and around 6-7%. That was with a little go-go juice though. Now that'll really reak havoc on a wardrobe.
tounge.gif

ahahahaha. wow you lost a lot of weight. guess that's what happens when those who don't know what they are doing get some juice.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
J. Crew is worth a try. Most of their stuff is sized pretty big, so order a size down if you're in between sizes. You'd probably be a medium. Their shirts are slimmer than they used to be, but still fit beefier guys well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads