1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What chopsticks to buy? Asian people help prease.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jul 27, 2011.

1. dacox

dacox Senior member

:lol:

2. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

You ever been to Taiwan? sustainability/eco-responsibility is pretty popular there, and cleanliness...that is a given. Most Chinese I know are Buddhist, as am I, could be a hidden clue in there too. :)

3. Septavius

Septavius Senior member

Having grown up with non-metal chopsticks, I can't stand the feeling of metal chopsticks whenever they make contact with my teeth. I do find them useful when cooking, though.

4. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

Rosewood.

Bringing your own chopsticks around isn't all that weird, my aunt used to travel with a fucking mini rice cooker and several condiments. (0)

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Good thing all these Chinese people bringing their kitchens with them on trips enjoy traveling and seeing the world.

6. SField

SField Senior member

uhh Taipei smells like an open sewer.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Seriously, they sound like the biggest hicks in the world and will take the place of Americans as the most obnoxious tourist.

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Confessions from an evening at home featuring one too many cocktails: using a metal chopstick to roast marshmallows for smores is a great idea. Until you drunkenly decide to lick off the melted bits. Woke up sporting a blister on my lip.

9. SField

SField Senior member

+1.. mainland = eww.

People harp on about Americans... while americans may be a bit brash and uncouth, I'd actually have to say they're quite polite relative to chinese. They don't spit in public, make disgusting noises in trying to get phlegm out of their throat, and they understand the basic ideas of personal hygiene and line ups.

10. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

Wow, get to know the place, smell doesn't really have much to do with it. Anybody can tell you how it smells in the city.

11. SField

SField Senior member

If you're going to cite exemplary cleanliness as one of the chief jewels in the crown of a city, one would think the place shouldn't smell like shit.

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Sure it's not stinky tofu? TBH I thought the same thing about Hong Kong. Stinky tofu can make a place reek of sewer.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  13. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

No I didn't and no, I'm not going to. What are you trying to get at?

Did you even buy your chopsticks yet?

14. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Hey, every now and then its nice to embrace your asian side and just hack all the phlegm out. :nodding:

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

we bring this along when we go to china, fucking can't trust them with clean utensils nor the presence of serving spoons.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya... Taiwan and the Mainland are two entirely different animals.... Taiwanese are much more considerate w/ respect to these characteristics....

and what part of Taipei smells like an open sewer? I lived there for 3+ years and I'd have to respectfully disagree. It is modern and relatively clean. It's not Singapore clean, but that's Singapore. New York is much worse in many parts while Taipei is, in general, quite nice. When were you there? It hasn't been that way for over a decade or more....

1 person likes this.
  17. 6up

6up Senior member

haha....isnt that called "horking"

18. scientific

scientific Senior member

first off smh at koreans. secondly i have a pair or two of fancy chopsticks but i never use them because

1) this would require me to cook some food where chopsticks are desirable (basically none, they are a novelty utensil) because all take out places provide the throwaways which are sufficient and do not require washing and
    2) this would require me to cook. :slayer:

i would be happy to use my own if takeout places stopped providing them since it's wasteful. not that i really care because i usually discard the plastic knife/forks we get for lunch at work because the ones my office has are superior :lol:

19. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Hong Kong is modern and relatively clean, until one gets within proximity of a stinky tofu street stall. This stuff smells very fecal. The first time I encountered this 'delicacy', I thought it was the drains and sewers ponging, then it dawned on me it that was the stuff they where eating. I believe Taipei has a lot of stinky tofu as well, as do many Chinese cities. Fortunately AFAIK there is no stinky tofu within 500km of where I live.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011