1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What chopsticks to buy? Asian people help prease.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Oh cool. I did some work in the Nation years ago to do with some public health projects and research.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Well, to me, now that this thread has me thinking about it, the hierarchy is this:

-metal chopsticks at home (because I'm Korean and live in Korea, but I don't actually ever use these except for stirring a drink if I can't find my bar spoon)
    -metal chopsticks at almost every low-end Korean place
    -wooden chopsticks at every 'ethnic' Asian place - Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc
    -bamboo disposables with takeaway/delivery, or whenever and wherever you want - I can go downstairs to the convenience store and the guy will give me 20 pairs for free if I need, they give you a pair with every pack of ramen people buy. Ate sushi not long ago at a decent restaurant, and the chopsticks were disposable bamboo. They were turned nicely and not the break-apart kind, but still, couple hundred bucks a head and the chopsticks were throwaways
    -bone - Chinese fine-dining equivalent places, the only really fancy Chinese places I've been to were in Japan, at Japanese-Chinese restaurants - the china is nice, the chopsticks are nice, the glasses and linens all nice, etc - the same as if you were to go to a French restaurant and eat off Reynaud with Cristofle and Laguiole, i.e. they expect you to spend a couple hundred bucks a head, at least.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ Bamboo is not only used for the cheap, disposable, pull-apart sort. What most of you are calling "wooden" chopsticks are probably bamboo. As far as I know, wood is not a material tradtionally used for chopsticks.

4. DJackson

DJackson Well-Known Member

yeah impolyte, when I said inexpensive bamboo above I'm not talking about disposable.

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

I hate those things so fucking much. I'd like Korean food a lot more if it didn't come with such stupid utensils.

6. impolyt_one

yeah you're right, I should've said 'fancy bamboo/wood' - the stained or lacquered jawns, versus the un-lacquered pull apart disposables.

7. changy

changy Senior member

Your major chopstick types are

Metal - Easy to wash, hard to use (heavy and skinny)
    Bamboo - Easy to use, Good Grip, Hard to clean - Replace every 6mo -1 year
    Lacquer - Nice looking, slippery, low quality ones might contain unsafe material / chip
    Ivory - More for collection rather than everyday use

8. DJackson

just buy several different ones and try them. They're cheap. Or just buy bamboo and don't look back.

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I've always preferred lacquered chopsticks. They feel nice in the hand.

Even as a Koreaman, I cannot successfully use thin metal chopsticks. Then again, my parents never corrected my chopstick usage, so I use the improper X method.

10. impolyt_one

you're a heathen of the lowest class. Even whiteman with the choke-up two inches above the tip method has you beat.

11. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

what about jade? My parents brought me a set for 6 but I never dared to use them.
    another question, dishwasher or manual?

12. SField

SField Senior member

I meant bamboo, although at Korin I saw ironwood.

I wouldn't buy lacquered, they're too slippery for noodles anyway.

I think I'll go for bone. They look pretty and it appeals to my capitalistic gwi lo sensibilities.

13. DJackson

:fu: too much chopstick

14. impolyt_one

If you're looking for that real bad boy shit, you should hit up LabelKing, I bet he has you covered.

15. SField

SField Senior member

jesus he probably has a set made with the bones of a saber tooth tiger inlaid with tortoiseshell.

16. esswhykay

esswhykay Senior member

It may be apocryphal, but I've heard that the reason Koreans use metal chopsticks began in the Chosun dynasty when kings would use silver (the metal, not the color) utensils in order to detect arsenic poisoning in their food.

17. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I've used the same plastic chopsticks for my whole fucking life. My parents probably got them at some general store in a fairly bulk package. I don't like some of the wooden ones because i feel the wood is porous and could absorb dish soup and food... But that's probably all in my head.

I think the key to chopsticks is that you need to buy a set where every single chopstick is exactly the same. There is really all I have to say. I have a pair of metal chopsticks that I like eating with sometimes but I prefer plastic because that's what I use the most at home.

Having a big long pair of wooden chopsticks is helpful for cooking though. Similar to a wooden spoon.

18. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

I pretty much grew up with plastic chopsticks, we use long wooden to do certain stirfrys. I now prefer to use wood or bamboo and use metal if others are taken or for raw meat and beating eggs. The sound of metal hitting ceramic is very annoying, don't really understand why Koreans like using metal.

19. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think Japanese chopsticks are the easiest to use. The type of wood you decide is just personal preference (and perhaps formality).

In my opinion, the huge difference is in the tips of the sticks. Chopsticks made by real craftsmen have slightly different tips, and it is extremely easy to pick up food. 99% of chopsticks are probably mass made and do not compare to ones made a good craftsman. It's not really how beautiful they make the decoration, but how good they carve the tips of the chopsticks, making it super easy to pick up food. When I eat out, I notice my hand feels sore from using mediocre chopsticks. My hand muscles have become accustomed to effortlessly picking up food using good, handcrafted chopsticks at home.