What character trait do you most despise in people

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by munchausen, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

Stinginess.

Nothing annoys me so much. Especially when I am in a restaurant, we split the bill and the other person won't tip at all, expecting you to do it.

2. sonick

sonick Senior member

cynicism
    +1 A good friend of mine just irks the shit out of me sometimes with his cynicism... he is also annoyingly cheap.

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

Extreme stubborness for the sole reason of needing to be right

+1 on inconsiderate people. That one bewilders me.

And I also hate people who lick their fingers after eating Buffalo chicken wings.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot..."
    "” Robert A. Heinlein

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I had this discussion with a friend this morning. I think for me it's hypocrisy. I find it more irksome even than malevolence or dishonesty. Maybe because it's so prevalent.
    Making your children sick to get attention. Man, I hate that.

6. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Untruthfulness, not being able to live up to ones own ideals and not drawing the consequences from it (changing ones life's philosophy for example)...though I don't mind a small fabrication or lie here and there on a harmless daily level, we are all paradoxical, faulty human beings after all...[​IMG]

7. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

+1 on inconsiderate people. That one bewilders me.

And I also hate people who lick their fingers after eating Buffalo chicken wings.

Also that. I agree. One has to give in at times even when thinking one is right, for the sake of harmony and peace, else society crumbles, or even normal one-to-one relationships would in the end be made impossible sooner or later.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

For me it's a tossup between dishonesty and being a control freak. Hate both of them.

Control freaks are just an invitation for Piob to have some fun. "Are you really going to let so and so force that process on you?" "So and so thinks they own this, not you."

Another trait I hate is androgeny. Sorry, Neo. [​IMG]

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Dishonesty. I can work around most other traits in people, but if they are dishonest then the relationship lacks a base to build upon.

Most of the other traits listed in this thread are just irritations IMO.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Control freaks are just an invitation for Piob to have some fun. "Are you really going to let so and so force that process on you?" "So and so thinks they own this, not you."

Another trait I hate is androgeny. Sorry, Neo. [​IMG]

I love androgyny, but only in chicks.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I love androgyny, but only in chicks.

So is that good or bad for Neo? [​IMG]

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

So is that good or bad for Neo? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. forStyle

forStyle Well-Known Member

I hate ineffective people. It doesn't matter how nice or how considerate someone is, if that person cannot perform well in our interaction, I despise him/her.

Don't see why people despise entitlement. It doesn't hurt you, just hurts them.

14. otc

otc Senior member

I suffer from this...though I am working on it. The only issue is one of my good friends will routinely stick to stupid points that are wrong and his primary tactic for winning those arguments (once he subconsciously realizes he is wrong) is to slowly morph the argument so you are eventually arguing about something he knows more about (often related to whatever wikipedia page he read most recently).

I have gotten much better at catching when this is happening and just giving up.

Being right quite frequently is a curse [​IMG] but it happens when you talk about inane shit that has right or wrong answers (these aren't philosophical debates). I am well aware that many of these arguments could be quickly ended by google but I would prefer to rely on my credibility rather than having to back up every factoid I discuss with evidence.

15. juliank

juliank Senior member

Fakery. There is nothing worse to me.

I can deal with selfishness, pride, stupidity and even stubborness. Not that I like these traits, I loathe them too, but people who I can see are just fake drive me up the wall. By consequence I find honest people so damn refreshing. Even stupid simpletons, but honest as fuck. That I can get with. Oh and I hate flakes for the same reason I hate fakery, people who have no REAL intention of doing what they said they were gonna do but string the situation along. In fact, my nye resolution was to cut out all flakes and fakes from my life with surgical precision. I've been 100% successful thus far.