• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What character trait do you most despise in people

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ego and negativity are close seconds btw

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
People with no ambition really get me, they just seem to expect everything to be right for them and everything to fall into place with no work on their part.

Well, I think get what you're trying to say...
You're probably describing people who naively believe that things will 'work out' without any real planning and effort. They just expect going through the motions and being aimless in life that they'll still get there (wherever that place may be).

I wouldn't particularly consider possessing ambition and 'things falling into place' mutually exclusive. People can be very ambitious, and actually expect to have things fall into place at the same time. Usually for those who work out this way, they have the background, watchful planning in advance, and possibly strokes of various luck/chance to err in their favor.

It depends what particular type of ambition you're talking about, as the word can be rather nebulous.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Piety.

Seriously, if you believe something stupid, don't make a show of it. We're not impressed.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incessant worrying and/or nitpicking with little productivity to come from it.

I'm sometimes marginally guilty myself, working on it..
redface.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Incessant worrying over nothing

Yes. This is a notorious trait, I've found.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Self-absorbed people. These people cultivate irritating character traits such as ignorance, narcissism, and self-pity and wrap it up in one disgusting package. They don't care about anything that doesn't directly involve or affect them. Conversations with other people only center on themselves. And they're often a victim in their own mind, with every hiccup in their lives representing some great injustice.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these all sound like me. Feed me your hatred!

I do hate when people lie when trying to be polite. So liars. It is the way you would address a 10 year old. If something has to be explained, I will go out of my way and explain why we are not carrying a particular item.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Self-absorbed people. These people cultivate irritating character traits such as ignorance, narcissism, and self-pity and wrap it up in one disgusting package. They don't care about anything that doesn't directly involve or affect them. Conversations with other people only center on themselves. And they're often a victim in their own mind, with every hiccup in their lives representing some great injustice.

Get it all out.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me, it's a close call between stupidity and inconsiderateness, but I think inconsiderateness wins. If I had to split hairs and choose one, I suppose I'd rather have to deal with someone who is stupid, but considerate of others, than vice versa.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I had this discussion with a friend this morning. I think for me it's hypocrisy. I find it more irksome even than malevolence or dishonesty. Maybe because it's so prevalent.

I agree. Also I can't stand people who think they are super smart or really good at doing things. Especially at university when people say "I'm going to make a [buzzword] [buzzword] [buzzword] powerpoint" or "Be impressed at [buzzword][buzzword] idea." Especially when the technology levels are different. Some people think that putting faded photos in the back of the powerpoint and crazy amounts of text makes it 1000x better than a clean/simple designed powerpoint with white space. I mean you are presenting an idea/product and not letting people read. You can send out a memo for that.

And it's hard to provide feedback for these people since they are in their own world.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

This. General obliviousness as well - you know the type of guy who talks with his hands, while you're standing next to him and his hands and elbows are inches from your face the whole time.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, people who always think they're right and that their methodology in doing anything or solving anything is the absolute, correct way.

I guess that also means stubbornness. And arrogance. And Ignorance.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
extremely negative people... just saps my life force

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Unearned entitlement.

was just about to say 'sense of self-entitlement'

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Get it all out.

I was supporting my response. Shouldn't you, the guy who regularly posts TL;DR-caliber posts in the Health forum, understand that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads