• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What causes this shoulder crease?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I was trying one of my vintage jackets and this particular one has bugged me since I got it because this crease from the lapel forms down the chest when I wear it. I can't seem to figure out what is causing this. The shoulders fit fine, they arent too small, overall the jacket fits perfect, except that this crease/wrinkle forms when I put it on. It has high armholes so maybe that's causing it?

Any suggestions on what the problem could be appreciated. I drew a picture to illustrate (the 2 circled areas) since i don't have anyone around to shoot a pic.

shoulderky2.jpg

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your bigger problem is that the sleeves are too short.
laugh.gif

Nice sketch, actually. I've seen problems in that area on jackets before, and I've usually assumed it's an issue of sloppy fusing. Other than that guess, I have no clue.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any proper input, but

wow you draw pretty well.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It's def not a fusing issue as this vintage jacket is full canvas, as many/most jackets were 40-50 years ago. (and the pinch test confirms)

I read a back post from Whoopee stating that this kind of indentation could be caused by slightly too small shoulders, altho it feels fine and not tight at all when I put it on. Perhaps an un-noticeable amount (.5" or less) is causing the indentation, but without feeling tight?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
I don't have any proper input, but

wow you draw pretty well.

haha thanks, i literally drew this in about 2 seconds....but I have a bachelor fine arts degree and I draw for a living

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulder wrinkles to which I was probably referring don't look like this. Those would be akin to the shoulder getting scrunched like an accordian. I'm not really sure what is causing this. It might have something to do with the shoulder slope being off near the neck and too much fabric being in that area.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes it comes from shoulders that are more forward than the shoulders of the jacket.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Sometimes it comes from shoulders that are more forward than the shoulders of the jacket.

That's definitely possible. If I push my shoulders back a bit, it smooths out the indentation.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could be so many things. Possibly your shoulder slope and the jacket shoulder slope do not match. Try to post a pic. Your drawing is not specific enough for a specific response. Even though it is a good drawing, as previously noted.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Either this or what Despos said.

You should draw some sketches for Manton. ;p

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice sketch!

I had a similar issue on a recently purchased suit, though the creasing was less on the shoulders and more on the front of the jacket. This was a DB rather than SB, if that makes a difference and the creasing was fairly obvious because the fabric was 100% silk and in a light colour.

In my case, the jacket is currently undergoing major surgery to correct it. It needed a combination of a whisper more padding on one shoulder (the slope variance Mr Despos has mentioned above, no doubt) and also removal of some material out of the front of the jacket requiring a fairly hefty recut. Not particularly cheap but worth it for this particular purchase.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Could be so many things. Possibly your shoulder slope and the jacket shoulder slope do not match. Try to post a pic. Your drawing is not specific enough for a specific response. Even though it is a good drawing, as previously noted.
Despos, your posts are very informative. I have two jackets from one of the cheaper order-by-mail outfits that exhibit very similar creases. I suspect it's just another case of "you get what you pay for" when it comes to cutting.

dan

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Yea I think it's the collar not cooperating with my neck base, and with the two at odds it's causing that slight indent. Thanks for the replies, glad you liked the quick sketch (to my surprise!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads