• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What causes "bunchiness" of a jean?

CarllraC

Reaction score
I saw a guy yesterday, and it was remarkable how non-bunchy his jeans were. He didn't have funny knee bulges when he walked, and they fell straight over the calf all the way to the heel, with a small buckle in the front over the shoe. The thigh was similar. They were fairly loose jeans - I'd say straight leg or relaxed fit. It definitely wasn't his leg filling out the jean that caused them to be straight. He looked VERY good in those jeans.

I have these jeans - they're straight leg, mid-rise jeans from Lucky Brand, and fairly loose on me, but they look okay. Now, my jeans "bunch" up and look unkempt. Knee and butt bulges kind of retain their shape as I walk or as I get out of a sitting position, looking odd. The lower leg bunches in a funny way. I can't explain why mine are different. It's almost as if, let's say, I put some 3lb weights in the cuff of my jean - then the jean would hang very straight like that guy's. Clearly he didn't have that, though.

What causes this, and how do I fix it? Are there certain types of denim or jean that do this better?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but two guesses: The jeans were well-washed and worn-in making the fabric softer. Raw denim obviously holds creases the best, I suppose acid washed would be the worst.
devil.gif
The denim had some lyrca or some other synthetic in it.

drake

Reaction score
Hem them and wash them more frequently.

CarllraC

Reaction score
What is it about washing them that is good? Would drying work too?

Also, should I starch them lightly?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
washing them will soften them up and make them drape easier, starch will do the opposite.

Double D

Reaction score
I guess it's the SuFu coming out in me... but why the hell would you want your jeans to drape smoothly all the way down to the hem?

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Double D
I guess it's the SuFu coming out in me... but why the hell would you want your jeans to drape smoothly all the way down to the hem?

So they look better.

Goblin

Reaction score
It might have something to do with the way you wear your jeans. I sit cross-legged on my floor at home, and I skate in my jeans, so the knees and butt of the jeans always end up looking kinda tore up after a certain point, and there's just not much I can do about it.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cant do much about the knees. when you sit you are streching the knee area. just dont bend your knees and your jeans will not get its own knees. you could take the steam iron to this the area and flatten it out after each wearing. that guys jeans were loose, thats the solution. the closer the fit the bigger the knee pockets the same applys to dress trousers.

Max

Reaction score
It's the looseness and the length. Tighter jeans will bunch and stretch out in the butt and knees, while longer and tighter jeans will bunch around the ankle.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 7/Mankind that do this but as Jared mentioned, they have lycra in them.

I have an ooooold pair of XS jeans from Express that are my "dirty work" jeans - they've been sweated in, slept in, taken camping, stretched in all kinds of weird positions and washed dozens of times - now they are as soft as the jeans you are describing..it just took a few years ;-)

lowrey

Reaction score
umm I think we're missing the fact that theres thousands of different kinds of denim. its the same as saying "I have two shirts - why is the other one warm and the other one not?" because one is a light weight cotton t-shirt and the other one is a sweater
plain.gif

some denim will stand up on its own, some will feel almost like thin cotton pants. of course washing your jeans makes them softer, but if its heavy denim they'll still bunch up. personally I hate the look of drapy denim that falls like thin dress pants, I dont think denim is supposed to look like that, but if you want that you need to look for a pair of jeans thats made of lighter denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads