• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What career do you wish you had pursued?

Jeff10236

Reaction score
I love being a teacher, but there are a few things I would have liked to have done differently, or wish I considered:

1) Army. I joined out of high school, had a bad ankle and was discharged early. I still wish I could have had a career as a soldier. Maybe, knowing what I do now, doing college ROTC where maybe they would have given me more time to do physical therapy or something to improve my ankle instead of booting me after basic.

2) Law Enforcement. Teaching, the military, and law enforcement are the three main jobs I have wanted since I was a kid. I tried two of the three. I wish I had joined law enforcement at 21 instead of trying sales. I would love to be in the motorcycle unit and ride for a living :) . Now that I've almost finished my masters degree in education and I'm looking for admin jobs, I'm actually half thinking of changing altogether and joining a local police department (even though I'm 42, and I'd be 43 when this school year finishes).

3) Psychology. I wish I had worked harder to keep my grades up, and didn't give up after my first mediocre grade, so I could have got into a decent Ph.D. program in clinical psychology as I had planned. A related alternative would have been med school and psychiatry.

4) Nursing. An Associates degree can get you your RN and a well paying job. Then, get the BSN and MSN while working, and become a masters level psychiatric nurse or make really good money as a nurse anesthetist.

Last edited:

salisboss

Reaction score
I wish that I had majored in business or economics. In my high school if you were good at math they pushed you toward engineering which I have ended up hating. I would much rather be working a wall street type job. I am going to night school to get my MBA in Financial Engineering but I wonder if I have missed my chance and will stuck in engineering for the long haul.

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
I would have joined the French Foreign Legion, but I enjoy my music equipment and record collection too much. Still a great way to get in shape and women would love it.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

SoCalSlum

Reaction score
I'm in law enforcement, and would like to move to finance. For the few stray eyed folks that think being an Leo has perks, you watch too much Fox News. I work in Southern California in one of the largest agencies in the country. My base pay is 55k. I work 14 hour days, only my days are Friday night - Monday night I haven't had a weekend or holiday off in 7 years. I've seen stuff you never want to see and I have literally had people try to kill me simply because of my profession.

Professional courtesy is a thing of the past in populated areas. No one will risk loosing their career for you. Sure you probably won't get a speeding ticket, but duis get handed out like crazy. And you can't forget .. If we get a DUI we get fined legally, and professionally. My last co worker had his typical 8k in court fees, then my department assessed a 20 day work without pay penalty.

Uniforms? Handcuffs? Flashlights? All out of pocket expenses.....

It's a little kids dream...nothing more.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finance isn't all it's cut out to be anymore folks. It's undergoing some pretty painful structural shifts (read: tons and tons of layoffs), and the pay is nowhere near where it used to be, despite similarly brutal hours.

AdamRS

Reaction score
I was in the same position last year. I'm in my fourth year now and have finally decided to apply to law schools, although the field is heavily overpopulated.

I too would recommend taking a gap. Could have saved myself a lot of time and money as my major has changed several times.

Summary: You're not alone!

I wish I could afford to pursue a career in software development.

IsteRed

Reaction score
I'm a Protocol officer. But I've studied in Economics and my wish always was to have my own business, to which I'm slowly going :)

Last edited:

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind being member of parliament doing public service. I like helping people and did a few things for new immigrants on the side that was very gratifying. The only problem is I'm stuck in an industry that's similar to tobacco with endless money and life is comfortable for me even if I'm dead inside.

swirlyclouds

Reaction score
Not to ruin the despondent mood...I actually caught a lucky break and worked at a tier 1 finance company for two years during my first year undergrad. And now run my own trading company in the 'race to the bottom' consumer electronics sector. I wish I worked harder during my high school and university years for better grades to even be considered for a management consulting interview. These tier 1 and 2 companies virtually cut all candidates with GPAs below 3.5 unless there some very special circumstances.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dictator of a Third World country. You work for yourself, have no one to answer to, have good job security and awesome benefits.

Last edited:

imschatz

Reaction score

I wish that I had majored in business or economics. In my high school if you were good at math they pushed you toward engineering which I have ended up hating. I would much rather be working a wall street type job. I am going to night school to get my MBA in Financial Engineering but I wonder if I have missed my chance and will stuck in engineering for the long haul.

**** man .. as an Economics grad .. I wish I had done Engineering in undergrad.

Engineering undergrad, then gone to do my MA in Economics (or MBA). At least where I am (Canadian Energy capital) .. this is a recipe for straight up world domination. A few guys I know with Engineering/MBA work in commodities trading .. others is business development. There are so many Engineers here, that most job's that require any sort of analytic ability would consider hiring them.

Last edited:

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being born rich.

Does that count, si that an opiton?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** man .. as an Economics grad .. I wish I had done Engineering in undergrad.

Engineering undergrad, then gone to do my MA in Economics (or MBA). At least where I am (Canadian Energy capital) .. this is a recipe for straight up world domination. A few guys I know with Engineering/MBA work in commodities trading .. others is business development. There are so many Engineers here, that most job's that require any sort of analytic ability would consider hiring them.

The world needs more engineers and less people in finance. It's absurd that such a sizable portion of GDP is basically a bunch of guys pushing paper from one side of the desk to the other. That's not a good thing.

This said by someone who works in finance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads