What career do you wish you had pursued?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Radagast, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Art history, languages (Latin, Old Greek, French), art scientific authentication and cataloging services.

2. israelrt

israelrt New Member

Always wish I had done engineering at MIT.
    I did medicine instead. :-(

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Lingerie photography. Easy one. Next.

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

You set your sights to low. The grail in photography is being one of the centerfold photographers for Playboy.

5. Temudjin

Temudjin Member

Formula 1 Driver. *sigh*

6. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

this thread is kinda depressing...

i don't really regret anything at this point in my life tbh.. it's not all good, but i think it sets me up to where i want to be
    after all, if i had made all the right choices at the right time, it wouldn't have shaped me to be the person i am today or the person i would be tomorrow (for better or worse)

truth... i'm doing something currently unrelated to my major at all

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

7. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

Jizz mopper/Spank booth. Never broke into the majors.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Poli-sci is very much a generalist degree- you learn research skills, argumentation, and how to understand complex systems and theories. Obviously that's a great primer for law, but it really is something that will serve you well in any environment where you have to respond to new and varied issues on a regular basis. Engineering, where you confront similar problems requiring a specialized skillset, requires a degree heavy in technical skills. But to go into something like venture capital (a field that takes in a lot of liberal arts grads, poli sci included), you don't need a specialized skillset- you need the ability to take in a lot of information, summarize it coherently, make good arguments, and make good judgements. What specialized skills you will need, you learn on the job.

Add to that that there aren't really all that many jobs in straight up politics/public policy, at least compared to the various options around in business, and it's pretty easy to see why poli-sci grads wind up elsewhere. And are more successful than philosophy grads, since they at least study and argue about stuff that's grounded in reality.

I say all this as a poli-sci grad working to get established in politics.

9. Sarah745

Sarah745 Member

It needed us a really very long time to select engineering so Therefore I think I still would finish on the internet for. It could, however, are actually nice to own figured it a little earlier around but got my career started sooner.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Got my BS in Econ, but if I had it all to do over again, would have gone for Geology. Put off my science cred until my senior year, took Geology b/c I couldn't pass Biology, loved it.

11. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Film but realistically I don't think I would have been good enough to be successful. It suits me better as a hobby for sure.

12. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Not sure. I love my job (orthopaedic hand surgeon) and I know I'm suited for it but there are other things I think I would have liked to try/do at the same time:

Architect - I took some classes in college, realistically I was not good enough but MAYBE if I had applied myself more!

Investment banker/master of the universe finance type - I interviewed for some positions through college connections while waiting to see if I would get into med school. If you are going to sell out, do it RIGHT and go for the most bucks, don't put some gloss on it. There's honesty in saying "I'm in it for the money!"

Radiologist - so much more mobile than what I do

Firefighter - maybe a juvenile wish but I respect their camaraderie and dedication

Or something that would let me travel...

13. IChen

IChen Senior member

Trying to switch to fashion design now. Instead of becoming a trader, I'm just thinking about running my own portfolio and my uncle's.

Sigh....interesting choices I made...architecture to finance to fashion? [​IMG]
    Actually if I actually had skills, F1 driver was/is definitely my first choice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

14. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

Chef.

I love to cook. I cook for my family. I cook for my friends. I throw a party just so I can cook for my guest.

Where I grew up, cooking was not a viable career. Hence a career as an engineer.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

The grass is always greener...