1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What can you alter more? Pants hem? or taking in waist? (more info in thread)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RyanR7, Feb 28, 2016.

1. RyanR7

RyanR7 Member

Hey guys so I'm deciding between these two pairs of pants that I want to purchase. I'm around a 29 waist by 27 length pants and I'm having trouble deciding which pants would be the better pick for me to get with less alterations/less complications/best result.

I have two choices:

One pair of pants would be 29x32

The other pair of pants would be 32x30.

Now both of these pants have it's positives and negatives. The first pair fits my waist perfectly but is too long. The second pair's waist is too big, but the length isn't as long and is closer to my needs in terms of length.

What is the better choice for me and easier route for a tailor to add alterations to?

Please let me know. Thanks guys!

- Fashion Noob

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Hemming trousers is far easier.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. RyanR7

RyanR7 Member

Wouldn't the 32 inch length be a problem though? The longer the pants, the more worried I'd be about the fit of pants overall right (seat, rise, etc)?

I guess what I need to know is if 32 length to 27 length on chino pants possible? and shall I run into problems when applying these alterations with such a big gap from 32 to 27?

4. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Don't know if you're being serious, but just stop for a second and think about how trouser legs are hemmed. Watch a video if you really don't know how this is done. It's just removing excess length at the bottom of the trouser legs. Hemming pants does not do anything at all to the fit in the waist/seat/thighs (the "top block"). The rise and seat will be the same after hemming.

If you're asking whether the top block on a pair of trousers with a 29 waist fits differently from a pair with a 32 waist, well of course it will. Have you actually tried the pants on in person??

5. RyanR7

RyanR7 Member

Yeah I am my fault, probably really stupid questions. Nope, I plan on purchasing the pair of pants online and then tailoring them! Just wanted to know which was the better the 29x32 or 32x30 but from what you're saying the 29x32 looks to be the better pick