• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can (should) be tailored on an OTR suit?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I can't afford a bespoke suit right now, I guess I am limited to off the rack. Since these are made to fit a wide range of people, what should I have tailored after purchasing such a suit? The obvious answer is the trouser length. What else can be modified? What are some of the common things you notice regarding poor fit on a person wearing an OTR suit?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A good tailor can do wonders, adjusting everything from sleeve length to collar fit to the amount of waist suppression. Just start with a good fit in the chest and shoulders and go from there.

Some common problem areas that a tailor can often solve:
Poor collar fit
Sleeves too long
Sleeves too short
Problems at the sleeveheads
Excess fabric/bunching in the back
Trousers too long
Trousers too short
Trousers too tight
Trousers too loose

The fewer problems to start, the better, of course. But it's almost shocking what a good tailor can do. It's a shame more folks don't take advantage of their services these days.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Just start with a good fit in the chest and shoulders

If there are any problems in the chest and shoulders, best to put it down and walk away.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Excess fabric/bunching in the back

would this be equivalent to taking in the waist on a suit jacket or is it something completely different?

-Jeff

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
If there are any problems in the chest and shoulders, best to put it down and walk away.

This is real good advice! You'll be much happier getting a piece that fits you as close to properly off the rack than you will be by altering it significantly.

I wouldn't touch the shoulders, chest or length, unless it's a special piece (and price) or unless you have a real, real good tailor. I'm also not a big fan of alterations if the sleeves already have working or faux button holes.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
This is real good advice! You'll be much happier getting a piece that fits you as close to properly off the rack than you will be by altering it significantly.

I wouldn't touch the shoulders, chest or length, unless it's a special piece (and price) or unless you have a real, real good tailor. I'm also not a big fan of alterations if the sleeves already have working or faux button holes.

My amateur understanding is not that it's merely difficult to fix shoulder fit, but rather that it's nearly impossible. It's the one common fit problem that simply can't be corrected. Especially true if the shoulders are too tight, of course. Correct me if I'm wrong. . .

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also not a big fan of alterations if the sleeves already have working or faux button holes.

Faux buttonholes are not usually that big of a problem because the stitching that makes up the faux buttonhole can just be removed by the tailor and usually does not leave behind any visible marks. I've done this on a couple of suits without any issue.

I definitely agree, though, that sleeves with working button holes are very difficult to alter.

Padgett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Faux buttonholes are not usually that big of a problem because the stitching that makes up the faux buttonhole can just be removed by the tailor and usually does not leave behind any visible marks. I've done this on a couple of suits without any issue.

I definitely agree, though, that sleeves with working button holes are very difficult to alter.

Having relatively long arms, I've rarely found an OTR jacket that didn't need work on the sleeves. If tailors have problems taking out sleeves with faux buttonholes, I haven't encountered them.

pengesq

Reaction score
I have a tailor who normally does bespoke but has on occassion taken in shoulders for me. He does a great job but the minimum price is $150 and I find it not to be worth it. This has been done on suits that were too big as a result of weight loss. I imagine it's not possible for shoulders that are too tight.

Padgett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pengesq
I have a tailor who normally does bespoke but has on occassion taken in shoulders for me. He does a great job but the minimum price is $150 and I find it not to be worth it. This has been done on suits that were too big as a result of weight loss. I imagine it's not possible for shoulders that are too tight.

How far in are we talking about? An inch? I'm looking at doing this with some suits that I can basically get for free.

horton

Reaction score
I would be concerned about taking in anything more than a pinch (e.g., 1/2 inch or so). All sorts of things get thrown off when done too much.

Another option is some tailors will add slight padding to the back of the shoulder so that it carries better on the shoulder.

I would not touch the shoulder (or even the collar or the length) unless the tailor also did bespoke.

I'm also increasingly picky about working buttonholes. I've had few jackets done by a decent downtown (Boston) tailor and every time I look at them I can't but help compare them to stuff done by Joe at Rizzo's which are unreal.

Padgett

Reaction score
I would not touch the shoulder (or even the collar or the length) unless the tailor also did bespoke.

If we're talking about a good bespoke tailor, is it worth it to get the whole thing recut? (Again, assume the suit is of reasonable quality and freely available.)

horton

Reaction score
My own two cents and others may differ, but if you go into a nice store if they're any good they'll find a jacket that comes pretty darn close to being perfect (unless you're a truly problem fit) and which shouldn't require alterations to tough spots.

However, if you get a steal, let's say a Kiton or Isaia that you like a lot at a rock bottom price then it may be worth the risk of getting some alterations to problem areas (but even then there would be some I'd totally avoid).

I had a Kiton cashmere jacket i bought on ebay BNWT (basting threads etc.) at what I believe to be a great price. I had it altered so it fit well and it cost nearly 300 for things like sleeve length, button holes, collar, jacket length). If I was buying the jacket from a store I would never want to buy a jacket that needed that level of alteration -- even if the store was going to the alterations for free. In this case it was a 52 (IT) and if I bought from a store I'd probably need a 51 (IT). However, given the circumstances it was worth it.

Personally, I'd never let a tailor touch the sleeve head in a fine jacket. I just don't see how they'll be able to get things the way you expect. If they need to muck with that, the jacket is the wrong size to begin with -- or OTR is clearly the wrong choice for your build.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll add to this issue of altering the skirt of the jacket. I have a tailor and he will shorten about 1.5" max. Anything more and the pockets look funny and he will quite literally refuse to do it. But some shortening CAN be done. I have to have it done on all R length jackets. [Those these days I try to buy shorts exclusively.]

bob

Padgett

Reaction score
However, if you get a steal, let's say a Kiton or Isaia that you like a lot at a rock bottom price then it may be worth the risk of getting some alterations to problem areas (but even then there would be some I'd totally avoid).

Great post. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads